Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping computer won't fire

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 capgunslim

capgunslim

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

Quick chronology. I got this computer about 5 months ago, but, it's last major upgrade, a new board, chip, 2 8900 gts's, 4 more gigs ram, were all done in 08'. My cousin and I have been building our own systems for a long time. This was my cousin's main computer, and he passed away in 08' shortly after the last upgrade. My uncle took it after he died, and I didn't see it until 5 months ago. I don't know if he used it at all during this time, as we really don't speak much. He called me up back then and asked me to come pick it up, as he was getting a new computer.

It was full of dust and doghair, including the Koolance Exos watercooling unit. After a major cleanup, I just let it sit, until I could get around to draining the Koolance a few days ago, and bought some new coolant to put in it. I bought a new mouse for it was well, since it was missing. Well, I attached the cooling tubes, filled the resovoir, gave everything a really good once over, making sure everything was plugged in, and connected. Everything looked solid, so there wasn't much to do. I flipped on the Power Supply, the lights on the motherboard lit up, then it was time for the case panel switch to be punched. I did so, then.....nothing. I went through it for well over an hour troubleshooting, but I couldn't find anything wrong. I'm really at a loss here, and I'm hoping for some suggestions of what I might try that I might've overlooked.

Here is what I know so far about the parts. I know it's an AMD Athlon X2 64, but I don't know the speed, or the exact chip. I'd have pull off the cooler block to tell you, and I really don't want to do this, unless it's a necessity, but I can't see how it would be. It's running an Asus Mobo of some kind, but I can't see or find what model it is. It's still running ddr2 memory of course, and the serial numbers I can find, when typed into any search, comes up with nothing. It has both EIDE and Sata ports. It has several sets of blue LED's running along the edges of 3 sides on the board. Also has a Cmos clr button, next to the main board power connection, and a reset, and on/off button at the back at the end by the vid card slots. I will try to send pictures in next post. Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 capgunslim

capgunslim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

Attached File  DSC05394.JPG   151.55KB   16 downloadsAttached File  DSC05395.JPG   152.49KB   17 downloadsAttached File  DSC05397.JPG   152.82KB   15 downloadsBTW, I don't know how many watts the PS is, or the name, as it has none.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I tried to identify that motherboard, but it is a bit difficult based on the pictures.

The actual motherboard model number would be in the location of the RAM sticks, which appear to have a red plastic cover on them.

Those are hindering your ability to read the model number.

It is in fact an Asus motherboard, as I can clearly see the Asus logo in one of your pictures.

You may want to try removing at least the two middle RAM sticks to see if this is where the model number is printed.

Once you have that information we can help you figure out what is wrong with this system.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

those are heat spreaders mr_bruce, but yes you are correct, with most ASUS motherboards, the model number is either by/inbetween the ram slots, or under the first PCI express x16 lane

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

I believe this motherboard might have an AMD-K9 processor.

Other wise known as an AM2 processor.

Check these links below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_64_X2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_X2_microprocessors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2

Based on this information, if we visit the Asus web site at this link below and choose from the General downloads drop down menus, choose motherboard then choose AM2, we will come up with a list of motherboards.

Although it could also be a socket 939 motherboard as well.

http://support.asus.com/download/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Now I know that does not help us to figure out the exact motherboard model number at this point, but once you have that model number off of the motherboard, which should be printed in-between the RAM slots, you can go to this link above and download the motherboard manual.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 March 2011 - 11:54 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

One last suggestion, you can Google images and compare those images to the motherboard you have.

Here is a link to get you started.

Asus AMD Athlon X2 64

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=Asus+AMD+Athlon+X2+64&cp=21&bav=on.2,or.&wrapid=tljp129948476239308&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1053&bih=477

Bruce.

#7 capgunslim

capgunslim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

TYVM guys, I will do do that when I get home from work this evening.

After thinking a bit more last night about what the problem might be, I have a conjecture or two. Since 2 years went by before he called me to come pick it up, I'm thinking maybe he used it, without connecting the cooler. So he may have blown the PS and or fried the mobo. I have a few spare power supplies lying around that work, but are way to weak to run this system. So I may unplug 3 of the 4 hdd's and pull one of the vid cards, and try to fire it that way. I'm hoping they're the 24 pin plugs from the PS so not sure if it will work. The front panel power switch wire has the pos/neg wires spliced into from the cooler, but I want to see if at least the cooler works, so I may also cut or pull those wires out of the jumper just to test the cooler, with the power supply.

My thinking behind this, is, since this computer is a bit older now, maybe there are some things I can salvage, incase it is the motherboard that's toast.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

running the System without the cooler isnt likely to fry the PSU, though the CPU and motherboard arent out of the possquestion.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 capgunslim

capgunslim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:07 AM

Okay. Sorry I haven't posted anything lately as to what I've found out, about the mysterious Non-firing puter. I hope you're still hanging in there with me...

I finally had some free time this evening, and decided to tear into it more. I pulled the 2 middle sticks to ID the board, but nothing was present. I had not read the post by thePatriot before tonight, so I didn't check under the first PCIE slot, but I will do that soon.

I pulled the PS and found that on the other side, it does have a name, lol. It's a Silver Stone 750 watt PS. I grabbed a known to still work P3 1Ghz machine out of my massive pile of puter parts, which I'm sure you all have as well. I unplugged everything from the Mobo, HD, etc. that was connected to the 400 watt currently in the case, and connected everything to the 750 watt. The P3 fired, no problems, BUT, the PS fan was not turning. I decided at the same time, I wanted to see if the Koolance cooler was working, so I connected it, and it fired as well. Woot! I love that part at least. I added more coolant as it started to circulate, and decided to let it run for over 10 minutes just to make sure everything was fine with it, and it was full and flowing nicely.

So, now I'm left with thinking, it has to be either the power switch itself, the plastic piece with all the conectors for the power/reset/hdd light that plugs onto the mobo, or the mobo itself.

Well, I guess I can replace the fan inside the power supply, since it does work, no reason to toss a nice PS because the fan doesn't work, lol. Wonder how or what I'll replace it with. Never changed out a PS fan before. In the past, I always knew the smell of the PS frying, due to fan stoppage that I couldn't see, so by then it was too late.

Anyway, I guess my question now is, where can I get a new plastic "all in one" type connector piece for the mobo, and a new front panel switch? I guess an electronic store here in town would have the switch, but what about the other piece? Once I get the model number off the mobo, should Asus have those available to purchase?

If this doesn't work, then it smply has to be the motherboard itself.

BTW the cooling block is definetely the CPU-340 from Koolance. One more interesting side note. I can't find this particular cooler anywhere on they're site, or on the net for that matter. It's an Exos unit, but very first gen. I guess. It's not the 2.5, and I can't find a 2.0, and the serial numbers off of it come up as nothing on Koolance's site, LOL, go figure.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

So, now I'm left with thinking, it has to be either the power switch itself, the plastic piece with all the connectors for the power/reset/hdd light that plugs onto the mobo, or the mobo itself.

Anyway, I guess my question now is, where can I get a new plastic "all in one" type connector piece for the mobo, and a new front panel switch?

I am a bit confused as which plastic piece you are referring to.

Are you considering replacing the motherboard connector that has the array of pins on it for connecting the various wires that are coming from your front panel power on, reset switch, HDD LED and power LED?

If I am misunderstanding you can you be a bit more specific as to what plastic piece you are talking about?

Bruce.

#11 capgunslim

capgunslim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

Yes Bruce that's exactly the piece I was reffering to. I didn't know the name of it, so I just tried to describe it as best I could, LOL. Are those available to purchase?

Edited by capgunslim, 07 April 2011 - 12:51 PM.

#12 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:30 PM

If you're talking about a plastic piece that is removable, it isn't necessary. It's basically a means to easily connect all those wires to one piece. Then, you can connect that whole piece, with the wires in it, to the motherboard PLED/HDD/RESET SW... area of the motherboard.

However, you don't have to use the piece, as you can connect the wires directly to the motherboard -- instead of connecting them to the piece first. It's always a bit harder to connect them directly to the motherboard cause of space constraints... but it won't make a difference in the performance of the PC.

Here is an image of it: http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7034/66081214uc1.png

To find out where the wires go, consult the motherboard manual for that make and model -- it should list where to place the + and - wires. Normally the + wires are colored, and the - wires are all black or white.

[Tip: sometimes the Power LED connector won't fit because it has to cover 3 spaces (with the middle being empty), but the connector only fits over 2 spaces. You can get around this by removing the little Power LED wires from the plastic end with a small screwdriver -- a jewelers screwdriver works well cause they're small enough. Make sure not to damage the wires when you pry the plastic away from them.]

I'm sorry if what I'm saying makes no sense. It's hard to describe this, I think :P

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

Very good advice Suicide King :thumbup2:

Catgunslim you never posted what you found out about this motherboard as far as what its model number is.

We already know its an Asus motherboard, but the model number is what we lack information on.

Have you figured that out as of yet?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 April 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#14 capgunslim

capgunslim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Thanks again for hanging guys! Been a tough time since the 12th, I apologize, my dad just had colon cancer surgery.

KK, I pulled the vid cards, and still......Nothing.

The only thing it uncovered was a "Crosshair" name. So Asus Crosshair? There's an "Alliance of Gamers" type of heat pipe setup by the southbridge. It of course goes throughout the northbridge as well. So, now I really have no clue. I've uncovereed everything, except anything that might be covered by the cooling block on the CPU itself.

Edited by capgunslim, 19 April 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Perhaps the only way to determine what board it is, is by having you post a detailed high resolution, well focused image of the motherboard minus all the attached hardware.

I might be able to match it up with other images posted on the web.

I also noticed the motherboard has stickers stuck on it, is there any numbers on those that might point to what motherboard this is?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 April 2011 - 02:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users