Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

My Dad has an HP Pavilion 761c, and I replaced the hard drive because of a smart error. He wants to reload the drive with the original HP version of XP Home, but HP uses a hidden partition to store their recovery info. I hooked it up to my machine as a slave, and I was wondering if there is a way to access the hiden partition and make my own recovery CD. Otherwise, My dad has to order a CD from HP (shipping=$).

Here's what Everest says about the drive:

Partition Partition Type Drive Start Offset Partition Length
#1 Compaq Diag 0 MB 5079 MB
#2 (Active) NTFS D: (HP Pavilion) 5079 MB 112159 MB

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:54 PM

Wait why do you want the hp version of XP, all the drivers can be obtained with the xp driver wizard, and theres no real advantages with the hp version except them pasting their logo on every menu visible.

Even if you could view the recovery partition, thered be no way to get all the files to go to their needed psotiions, and get all the information into the registry without errors. Your better off, just goign with another xp copy.

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:55 AM

Wait why do you want the hp version of XP, all the drivers can be obtained with the xp driver wizard, and theres no real advantages with the hp version except them pasting their logo on every menu visible.

Yeah. That's what I told my Dad, but he said "What came with worked, so I want to use that again."

#4 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:05 AM

why dont you just copy an xp disk onto a cd/dvd. Write hp recovery files on it, and install it? He wouldnt know the difference, and you dont have to pay for another copy....

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:02 AM

I just (several months ago) obtained restore XP Home disks for my sister-in-law's computer. The disks for her HP 533w were only $14 for over night Fedex shipping. If you call tech support and explain how your OS went south, they may cut you the same deal. It's 13 disks in all. It's cheaper than a full verison of XP Home. $80+ , Pro$120+
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:16 AM

Yeah, Acklan, I think that's what my Dad's going to do. You can order them off the web site, right?

Salo, I would do that (I'd rather do that) except I don't know what came with the computer. I know I can get the drivers for everything, but there was all this other stuff (including some pretty handy HP software) that I don't know about. Thanks for the help, though.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

The HP recovery utility is easy to use and offers both a non-destructive and a destructive option. It's very attractive for those who don't know a whole bunch about computers.

As I recall (from a 750n that I had) the partition is merely hidden, and you can unhide it and clone it very easily. I don't know how the HP software will react to a change of hard drive tho'

EDIT: Here's a link about changing hard drives: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Edited by usasma, 22 December 2005 - 07:41 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:51 PM

there is another way to get a CLEAN install of win xp form your old drive / if you can see the i386 folder on the old drive / copy the contents of that to your new drive

****** important **** you will need to go to folder options(double click on my computer / then click on tools / view tab / then enable or click the show hidden files and you will also have to uncheck mark the "hide protected operating system files"

all the files needed to install windows xp from scratch on in the i386 folder / after copying the i386 folder to the salve drive / enter the copied i386 folder and find a windows looking icon (window icon with a top blue bar) named winnt32 click on that icon (not the fancy looking installer type looking winnt32) then the windows installer will run right from within windows >>>>> simply follow the instructions for a clean install ... you will need an activation code from microsoft but i dont see them giving you any hassle for your situtation

cheers

joe

Edited by linderman, 22 December 2005 - 09:52 PM.

#9 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:45 PM

Wow. Thanks guys. I'll look into that when I get a chance.

#10 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

if your reffering to

%WinDir%\ServicePackFiles\i386

That doesnt work, because winnt32 doesnt exist.

#11 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

no I am not refering to the service pack files

I am refering to the i386 FOLDER as a whole / and I know it works because I have done it many times

you can also copy the contents of ANY person's i386 folder found on the Win XP or Win 2K install CD / then copy that folder to your slave drive / do the ssame thing / run (click on it) the winnt32.exe from within windows and it will install !! BUT they must be like versions to yours; because you will need YOUR 25 character install code >>>> you cant use an install code from win xp home to install from a i386 folder from a win xp PRO cd

this is not illigal because you will need your own activation key >>>> and 25 charaxcter install code / as found on a sticker on the case of pre-built or manufactured PC's >>> from there you will need to call microsoft for activation code; which if your reason for new install is valid (and they are much looser nowdays then they used to be) like smoked drive or burnt mobo / or just clogged up OS and you want a clean install >>> then youre ok

if you cant find your 25 character install code / there are ways(legitimate ways not talking any hacking or cracking :thumbsup: to dig it up / just let me know = but i dont assist people for piracy purposes

regards

joe

Edited by linderman, 23 December 2005 - 07:26 PM.

#12 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the help guys, but my Dad went ahead and ordered the stuff from HP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users