Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Questions over words what English people use

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have a question over the word Case: My question in this is, why calling English people an Cupboard a Case when you build a Computer.?
Case is the same as a Cupboard, but it is strange when we talk over a Computer and we must opened or build one, that your English write and speak not over a Cupboard, but over a Case.
Why is that???

Than have I another question and that is over the paste what you greased over the Micro Chip: Last year told a person from another site, that CPU paste will be call, CPU stuff.
When I and another person from Europe talk and write over the stuff what you bring up the CPU, than call we that CPU paste, no say the English, we calling that CPU stuff. Why is that???

:whistle:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi,

a case and a cupboard are not the same thing and you wouldn't normally use those two words interchangeably.

A cupboard is the same thing as a shelf or a rack.
A case is the same thing as a box or a carton.
Traditionally a case will allow you to store things in it, it will close up entirely around the item it is storing and it is a lot smaller than a cupboard. The interior of a box is usually one big space.
A cupboard on the other hand is often open to one or two sides, it normally is 2m high and over 1m large and the interior is separated into several areas so that many things can be stored in it.

You would for example buy a case of wine, but not normally a cupboard of wine. You would store your dishes and pots in a cupboard but not normally in a case.

When it comes to your second question: "stuff" is a very broad term that means something similar to "thing", most likely when he said "CPU stuff", he implicated that he did not know the correct term for the paste. It's a generic term for one or several items that you either don't know by name or don't know what they are.
For example: "What is this stuff? I'm not touching that" Means what is this thing. The person saying this doesn't know what they are looking it and don't know the correct term for it.
The correct term for the paste you are referring to is thermal paste though, not CPU paste as it is always used to improve heat conduct, but not exclusively used on CPUs.

regrads myrti

Edited by myrti, 06 March 2011 - 05:56 PM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

Thank you for the explain, myrti
Your explain is very good.
Than the text below in the quote: Yes that is something, what I must keep in my mind.

The correct term for the paste you are referring to is thermal paste though, not CPU paste

I had learned that Thermal paste is Cpu paste, but it is Thermal paste, I use this word now after your explain and personally find I this sound better too.
Okay at this moment have I no other question, I'll come back.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:57 PM

Regarding the CPU\Thermal paste.

Many, irregardless of Nationality refer to the processor as the CPU = Central Processing Unit. While others when speaking of a CPU are speaking of the entire Computer.

It is a matter of understanding the context, subject matter of which they are speaking of.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

Regarding the CPU\Thermal paste.

Many, irregardless of Nationality refer to the processor as the CPU = Central Processing Unit. While others when speaking of a CPU are speaking of the entire Computer.

It is a matter of understanding the context, subject matter of which they are speaking of.

I use the term processor which i reckon is more specific.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hi ThunderZ and Killerx525,

I understand your point.
Of course use every one other names for the processor.
The one call it only the chip, than the other just like the most, CPU=Central Processor Unit, than have we whether others, they call the Cpu; Micro Processor and I do believe that people can think at other names for the processor.
I think that is just how you have learned.
In 1987 got I the first lesson on Computer area and the Teacher learned me, that the Processor in fact the heart from the Computer, called CPU.
In my honestly must I tell that the sound of CPU is for me better.
When a person uses the word Chip and I read this, than think I at food.
Because the baked potatoes in a bag, call we Chips.
Back to the real name of the paste what we use for the Processor or CPU, in my country there are some shops that call the Microchip paste, Thermal paste.
So I think that on one of moment the name what we use in the Netherlands for CPU paste disappears and all Computer shops use the word Thermal paste.
When a salesman use the word Thermal paste, than do I now know, that he does mean CPU paste.
So I think that we can also use the word Thermal Chip for CPU.
Thermal Chip can we not eat.
:guitar:

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

But keep in mind there is more then on chip on a motherboard.

Example. When downloading drivers for a motherboard it is suggested to download the chip set drivers first. These chip set drivers are not drivers for the Processor\CPU. The are for the chip(s) integrated into the motherboard and tell them how to interact with the CPU\Processor, as well as other hardware on\added to the motherboard as well as the BIOS chip.

So you can see where referring to the CPU\Processor as a chip may prove to be confusing.

#8 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for the tip, ThunderZ

Of course is a chip not the same as a Micro Processor, still are there people they use the name Chip for the Micro Processor and that is confused.
Here on B.C. have I not read this, but on other forums I read.
About downloading of the drivers, well some factories give when you buy a new Motherboard, a setup cd with the Motherboard drivers.
I must tell that I was in January 2011 busy with building a new Computer, but the shop delivered the wrong Motherboard and the Case was not so fine.
So I gave it back to the shop and I could looking further and I can tell, it is not so easy for find the right components, components were I say, that is it, but also is it difficult, I pass with that and on a not so long way, I have a built new one.
Back to my story about the setup cd with Motherboard drivers: Then I saw this, I was surprised, because I thought, when I have the new stuff and built that, than must I make connection with Internet and the factory of the Motherboard for downloading the drivers and I had not expect that in the box of the Motherboard, there was a setup cd with drivers.
I think that some factories keep in their mind, that some users forget that they must download the drivers from the site of the factory and this is the reason, that they put in the box of the Motherboard, a setup cd with drivers.
I think too, when a factory don't do this and no one tell the user what to do, that the user will see what the problems are when the user don't download and install the new drivers.
The chips on the Motherboard can we see as a part of an engine of a car.
Under the bonnet or hood; American people use this word, is on the engine a Carburetor and Bobine also Boogies with the cables, when the Bobine is kaput or one of other Boogie, than have the owner of that car a problem.
In the case of a Carburetor, can you start the engine, but the car will not working and that is the same when the Bobine is with holiday.
When the Boogie is defect than get the owner also a problem.
Okay back to the Computer: When the user don't install the drivers, than get he or she a big problem.
I think that when a person build a Computer and the person don't install the drivers, that he or she get a black screen after a while or it could be that he or she get other problems just like startup problems with the Computer.

:killcomp: This when the person built the Computer and he or she get troubles after work.
Yes logical.

Add: The case must also be compatible with the power supply.
You can thinking that in a case can all power supplies, but my experience is, that is not true.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 08 March 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#9 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

Another question and the question what I ask is the next: Why use the people from an English language country the word Bonnet and the American Hood.?
It is better that the English people when they speaking over the bonnet or hood of the car, use one and the same word and that is Motor cap.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Bonnet and Hood are synonyms in their original context, both are pieces of clothing that cover a persons head. Just minor differences in dialect, the "color vs. colour" debate.

Posted Image

#11 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

Dialect! Aah Aah.
Thank you for the information Blackspyder.
Now understand why American English is difficult.
Yes in my country have we Dialect too.
Now I do know, were I am stay with words and the differences from both countries, is it for me easier for learn Conversation English.
In an earlier post from me to mr. Quietman7 in rubric Hijackthis new version from sub forum Anti-Virus etc. did you seen, that I told that I learn soon a study and after that, than I am here for study Hijackthis education, but first I must learn better English.
Now have I the feeling when I type a message, that I am visit a family and I eating there with sticks.
By that family I can do that, but in the most cases, eating with the sticks, it is not always fine, because the rest falling of the sticks, after the dinner, I am still hungry. :)

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

I think you are doing fine with your English RadioNorthSea.
I have read a lot of your posts and you are eager to learn which is good.

English is hard to learn because everywhere in the US we speak differently depending on what part of the country we are in. People in the north speak differently than the south and east and west.

Everyone is different depending on the part of the country.
Keep up the good work!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

Thank you eyesee for the compliment.
I doing my best but sometimes are there words were I say, how must I formulate this.
Must I use the ing form or must I type a d, t, s or ed behind a word, I have moments that I type the words what I have in my mind, but than I confused and than is the possibility there that I make just typos.
When I follow the education Conversation English for beginners, than have I no more fear of failure.
When I follow that, than I make one step to the education of English for Advanged.
After the education English for Advanged, than I am more secure for what I doing.
Now have I with typing messages, the unsecured of, the message what I did type, is that correct.
But after your message do I know, that it will be okay with my English.
It is what I did tell on the first line, I doing unbelievable my best.

English is hard to learn because everywhere in the US we speak differently depending on what part of the country we are in. People in the north speak differently than the south and east and west.

True absolute true and when you see differences words, than are you lost with that and get you as not English human a problem with that.

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

@ RadioNorthsea

Thank you for starting this Thread, now I have some where to Post my Advice to you.

I have been quite ill lately, so could not respond to PMs.

Now you have started this Thread, I would like to include what I tried to teach you about English, under PM, because there was no other medium available at the time. I would never include Personal Comments from either of us, but those Lessons could Help others like you, that have Problems with English? I will need your Consent to use PM for this use, Mate. Management can also, maybe assess whether there needs to be a Forum to cover this particular Topic that is really important in Fostering Multi-Culturalism on BC. I would certainly support that and I suspect that others will. Who knows, maybe we all can Learn English, as it is spoken all over the World.

I will check back in tomorrow< Mate.

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

No problem, DD, I have enjoyed that music.
Only am I little disappointed that I cannot save that music on my drive.
Your pm.'s with that music did I understand that you would let me see, the culture differences.
I can tell, that someone cannot learn only a strange language from the music.
Learn a strange language, that learn someone only when someone speak and write in public.
If you know, was I just like you, a Pit member until to last year and I had connection with my dear best friend miss Juliet.
The young lady and I did speak over the subject and I did tell the same as I tell it now to you.
When I live in the Usa or another English country, than must I everyday speak and write English, because, English people don't understand Dutch.
At least, not all of them.
The fact that I live in the country were I was born and I write or speak everyday Dutch, than is it for me difficult for learn some words with their adds.
I did make this topic, because, for learn the differences between words.
This forum is in fact a good medium for people they don't live in an English country.
My thought is: By practice you learn and that is true.
But write and speak are differences subjects, I can understand that you and others thinking now: :mellow: what do you mean.?
Well an example: If you know am I a Dutch man, when I had not learn write Dutch, only speak, than was it not possible for me, write Dutch.
When a human is a very young kid, than the kid learn the language with write and speak.
There were 2 humans last year they told me, we writing if the sound.
Okay, when I have followed Conversation English than do I know, how some words I must spell.
And I can visit an English country without a Tourist translate guide.
That is easy for me when I can speak without help.
We are here on a forum, on B.C. there are differences people from over the whole world, not everyone can write good English, so for me is that a stimulant.
When I make typos, than I am not in worse.
But when I have followed Conversation English, than can I also type faster, without that I check my post very long.
Typos are not worse, but what I type, must be understanding for others.
Okay mate, I will say, take your time, when you have since with pm connection or you want sent me an e-mail, I will see that.
See you later

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users