Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I remove programmes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 katiekins

katiekins

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hi

I have been trying to clear up and speed up my old desktop so it can be used regularly again.

I went to add/remove programmes via the control panel and to remove several programmes but the majority of the time it won't give me the option to remove them, it just gives me the size and when it was last used.

I have noticed there is several versions of Java (5 and 6 plus updates) and and other stuff like toolbars in the list which I would like to remove but can't. I have uninstalled some by going through the start menu but the others I can't.

I am guessing that having several versions of Java isn't a good thing.

Does anyone know how I can remove these older versions or the other stuff?

Thanks

Katie

Edited by katiekins, 06 March 2011 - 04:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Don't worry about java. And uninstalling programs is not going to speed up your system, so I really wouldn't spend a lot of time on this if I were you ;)

#3 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:14 AM

With the Java I was more worried about the security risk of having more than one version on my computor. Usually the updated version uninstalls all old versions/ updates!

Plus I have a few annoying toolbars I want to get rid off and there is this customer research thing installed which looks/ sounds a bit dodgy I want to get rid off!

Thanks

Katie

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

The names of the programs may help us to find answers about them. Where do the toolbars appear? If they're in Internet Explorer, you may be able to disable or uninstall them by right-clicking on them in IE. When you say won't give you the option to remove them is there simply no Remove button or is the option greyed out? And when you say it's a very old system, what are its specifications? Some old systems just never ran XP very fast...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

How do I find out it's specifications? I know it is XP home, version 2002 and service pack 3

It used to run alot faster with alot more space on it. Now I have about 35% free but before I have had little as 5% free.

There is no remove button at all.

The main programmes I want to remove are;

CustomerResearchQFolder (have NO idea what this is)
MarketResearch (NO idea what this is either but both sound dodgy!)
Nokia Connectivity Driver
Microsoft Autoroute 2001
Destinations

I am also trying to figure out what AiO_Scan_CDA, AiOSoftwareNPI, Fax_CDA and NewCopy_CDA is

Plus for Java there is:

J2SE runtime environment 5.0, update 6
J2SE runtime environment 5.0, update 10
J2SE runtime environment 6, update 1
Java ™ 6 update 2
Java ™ 6 update 3
Java ™ 6 update 23

(it won't let me update for some reason!)

ETA most of the ones I want to remove (if not all) have the picture of the computer and disc next to them ... I have no idea what this means?

I also wanted to remover real player but that is not even in the list!

Edited by katiekins, 08 March 2011 - 07:23 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

You could try Revo Uninstaller.

Download and install free version of Revo Uninstaller.

For best results, use Advanced. If successful, and asked for a reboot, say no.

Then click Next to begin looking for leftover items. Check only the bold entries.

To make sure you get everything, if any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Check those items to delete. Click next and let it find files you can safely delete.

If a reboot was required, do so after deleting files and folders.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

>> And when you say it's a very old system, what are its specifications? << From Platypus
Hi -
This will help us to find the exact specs of your system -
Please perform the following. Publish a Snapshot using Speccy
With Java the latest is version6 update 24 so you almost have the latest - We can help with that later -
Also look in My Documents for any programs you can not uninstall fron their place in Programs -

Thank You -
EDIT -
Real Player is often related to installed games - I have 2 R / P games installed -
Autoroute 2001 This program is installed by QuickBooks and QuickBooks Pro.

Edited by noknojon, 09 March 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#8 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:24 AM

You could try Revo Uninstaller.

Download and install free version of Revo Uninstaller.

For best results, use Advanced. If successful, and asked for a reboot, say no.

Then click Next to begin looking for leftover items. Check only the bold entries.

To make sure you get everything, if any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Check those items to delete. Click next and let it find files you can safely delete.

If a reboot was required, do so after deleting files and folders.

Thanks ... what does the bold entries mean? Will the left over items have the same name as the installed files? I don't feel very confident doing it, especially as I am not 100% sure if they can/ should be removed and don't want to ruin my computor!

>> And when you say it's a very old system, what are its specifications? << From Platypus
Hi -
This will help us to find the exact specs of your system -
Please perform the following. Publish a Snapshot using Speccy
With Java the latest is version6 update 24 so you almost have the latest - We can help with that later -
Also look in My Documents for any programs you can not uninstall fron their place in Programs -

Thank You -
EDIT -
Real Player is often related to installed games - I have 2 R / P games installed -
Autoroute 2001 This program is installed by QuickBooks and QuickBooks Pro.

Ok, I can run that programme later to see the specs when I get home from work.
Are you talking about looking for the programmes files in the C Drive ... if I delete the folder will that get rid of it? I have in some folders found the uninstall icons and used that to get rid of some programmes!

What does the icon of the computer and disc mean to the left of the installed programme .... It is not a clue that I can't or should uninstall it is it?

Edited by katiekins, 09 March 2011 - 03:25 AM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

I have in some folders found the uninstall icons and used that to get rid of some programmes!

That is a very good start - Keep doing that if you can find any uninstallers that work -

I don't feel very confident doing it, especially as I am not 100% sure if they can/ should be removed and don't want to ruin my computor!

You can not ruin anything just by removing your unwanted programs -
We can help you if you remove any wrong ones along the track -

Keep Going - :thumbup2:

#10 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

Thanks.

I have also noticed alot of programmes I have are not shown in my add/ remove programmes anymore. Is that normal?

I have tracked down Market Research and destinations to be linked to HP and I think CustomerResearchQFolder is too (I have an HP printer)

I ran a few anti virus / malware scans and found loads of adware and a couple of trojans. I literally haven't used this computer for years!

Edited by katiekins, 09 March 2011 - 08:47 AM.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hi again -

I have also noticed alot of programmes I have are not shown in my add/ remove programmes anymore. Is that normal?

Yes , quite normal depending on how they were installed -
Would you prefer to stay in this area or move to Malware Removal Forums -
We can only offer basic help with infections here, as the main malware area deals with those things (Infections, etc) -
Install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Thank You -
EDIT -
>> What does the icon of the computer and disc mean to the left of the installed programme .... It is not a clue that I can't or should uninstall it is it? <<
You can always list any programs that you are not sure of - - -

Edited by noknojon, 09 March 2011 - 03:46 PM.

#12 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hi

I ran Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FBHIfsD5KQlfXzUdAvQD1IB

(hope this works!!)

ETA: I noticed speccy says my antivirus is AVG, it isn't ... it is Avast, I changed at the begining of last year (I think). I still have the AVG toolbar on ie which I can't seem to get rid off through!

Also over the next few days I will go over the add/remove list properly and compare it with those on the uninstall list on here and google and will list the ones I am unsure about and/ or the ones want to remove and can't.

Would you prefer to stay in this area or move to Malware Removal Forums -
We can only offer basic help with infections here, as the main malware area deals with those things (Infections, etc) -
Install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

I have MBAM on here and have run it.
At the moment I think I prefer to stay in here bc my main issues was to uninstall these programes that have no remove button but I think over the next few days I might post a log in the malware section bc of the amount of maleware mbam and the other programmes found to check all is ok!

Edited by katiekins, 09 March 2011 - 07:43 PM.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,407 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Your biggest challenge in getting that system to run as well as it can as far as the hardware specification goes is the severe shortage of memory. There is only 256MB of RAM fitted, and the onboard video is claiming 64MB of it, so XP is trying to run with 191MB of available physical memory. That will cramp the OS severely - 512MB is a practical minimum for XP to work well.

The video memory allocation can probably be reduced to 32 or 16 MB in the BIOS setup, which would help a little, and not make much difference to the video performance, which is basic anyway.

The CPU itself is a workable speed for running XP, so greater amount of memory would make a significant difference to what can be achieved.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Platypus

These maybe really stupid questions but what is the onboard video? What will be the difference if I am able to decrease the video memory allocation? I do use the computer alot for burning dvds etc. Would it make a difference to this?

I take it this is linked to the 'low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory' message (or something like that)I get all the time. Can you purchase extra RAM to put in the computer? Or is there anything else I can do to reduce it (BC i never used to have this problem!) The only thing I think I have changed since buying the computur is putting a new CD/DVD recordable drive in. Do old XP's just have a low amount of RAM?

Sorry for the silly questions/ lack of knowledge!

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Katie, No need to apologize for the questions and your lack of knowledge. Your questions are not stupid or silly. If you don't know something, all you have to do is ask. We are here to HELP and EDUCATE. All of us were new to computers at one time. We all had to learn new things. And all of us are still learning today.

What is silly and stupid is NOT to ask when you don't know something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users