Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Estesjm

Estesjm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

I have recently built a new computer which has been working perfectly fine up until a few days ago. My computer froze while playing a game and I was forced to hardboot it. It worked fine for a couple more hours then i got a blue screen which I didn't have a chance to write down exactly what it said but I remember seeing "service_exception_error". I then decided to turn the comp off and let it rest for a day. I then turned the computer back on and it worked fine for a few hours and it froze again, but this time when i tried to hardboot all lights and fans came on but no post... no beep.. no video.. so I tried clearing out cmos still no post, removed video card--no post, then removed ram and I got a continuous beeping sound so I turned it back off and replaced one stick of ram--no post.. I put the stick into the other ram slot and bingo got it to post. I then tried the other ram stick into the same slot and it posted. So I'm now able to get on here and post this but I would like to get my computer to run with both sticks of ram for optimum performance but im not sure what to do. Should I send the mobo back ? or the ram ? I will post my hardware specs below:

-Biostar A780L3L AMD760G AM3 Motherboard
-AMD Phenom II X2 555 CPU
-4GBx2 Gskill F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL
-EVGA Nvidia 9400gt Graphics card

Any and all suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance.

Edit: Also I was wandering if anyone knows if the ram slot is bad would that be the cause of my computer freezing up? I'm not trying to overclock or anything like that everything is pretty much set up at factory defaults as far as bios settings and stuff like that.

Edited by Estesjm, 06 March 2011 - 03:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

If either stick of RAM will work in one slot but neither RAM stick will work in the other, I would be inclined to say that the slot in the motherboard is bad. A second opinion is always a good idea though. Can you see any bent or damaged connectors in the RAM slot?

#3 Estesjm

Estesjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Well I opened my computer back up and did a visual check of the "bad" ram slot and I can't see any signs of damage but this is the first computer I have ever put together and I'm purely self taught so I may not have done the best job checking it out.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

One option would be to contact BIOSTAR support at: 626-581-1055 menu 2 or email support@biostar-usa.com and see if they have any known issues with this.
You could also use MemTest86 to test your RAM. Download from here and burn to disk: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Let MemTest run for several hours to be certain.

#5 Estesjm

Estesjm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

Okay well I emailed customer support at Biostar and I'm still waiting for a reply there and I will try the memtest later on to make sure that the ram is good. I'll update as the situation progresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users