Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting out of Windows Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the_spoofer

the_spoofer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

Ok so here's my situation.

A few weeks back I was surfing the internet, on Windows XP, on Firefox and I got a trojan horse. My friend helped me get back into Windows under safe mode. There, he was able to download Ubuntu with Linux to a USB stick for me. I have been using Ubuntu to keep up with things I couldn't do under Windows Safe Mode. Now though, I need to try and get Windows back to normal. With some help from this site, I was able to download and install a superantispyware program on Windows in Safe Mode. I believe that may have removed the trojan horse. To be sure though, I must get back into Windows out of Safe Mode. I've tried everything that the internet has been able to tell me to do but I can't seem to get out of it. Every time I boot into Windows, it just reverts back into Safe Mode.

I would really appreciate it if ANYONE out there could help me get out of Safe Mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,692 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

See if you can copy the Boot.ini file into the USB, then open it in Notepad and post its contents. The Boot.ini file is located in the root directory of the hard drive, usualy c:\.

Edited by JSntgRvr, 06 March 2011 - 04:59 PM.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

How did your friend access Safe Mode, msconfig?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users