Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building Computer...2

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Compmon123

Compmon123

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:42 PM

Well i recently grew tired of the pre-built pc that im using so i decided to TRY and build my own. Now im a noob in building my own comp and this will be my very first ever comp ever built. OK i found a nice looking case already, but now im trying to figure out whats better an intel-compatible motherboard, or an AMD-compatible motherboard... which will lead to the general question.... In this forums opinion which is OVERALL better AMD or Intel? can we make a poll out of this somehow... well i value this forums opinions. Also, after we get this question answered we can move on to helping me in other ways...lol... so thnx in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:10 PM

If your a gamer and considering building a mid-high end gaming machine then AMD 64 is the wise choice because of it's fast on-chip memory controller. If on the other hand you don't play games often and use your computer for video encoding, Photo editing or general multi tasking then i think a Intel chip would be better suited to your needs, this is not to say that the Intel processors can't handle games, because they do a pretty good job in the gaming department too..........just not as good as AMD.

I think i poll would be a good idea, but considering this is not a gaming forum and the "games" forum on this site is not as popular as the other topics, i think the poll would be more biased to Intel.

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 07:51 PM

Its kind of hard to name the ever dominant chipmaker because intel/AMD are constantly producing new chips. The difference in gaming between an AMD 64 3200+ and the penium 3 ghz, is so low that you wont be able to physically tell the difference.

Now, about the gpu, probably go with AMd because there arent very s478 motherboards out right now with SLI or Crossfire capabilites. Crossfire right now is the dominant of course, far more flexble. With quality and clarity on its side.

Ram, just go for a gig of dual channel pc3200 or better. Usually costs around 100 bucks for 2 512mb sticks.

Harddrive, 150 gigs or more.

Heres a guiude I wrote on the actual building process.
http://techsomething.net/CustomComputerBuildingGuide.htm

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:48 PM

IMO

Gaming - AMD
All else - Intel
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

Nice site, Salo, good information and humor. (humor is always needed with any computer).

I'm kinda partial to AMD.
Gaming or otherwise, I think their product is solid, whereas the Intel's array of possibilities sorta needs to be scrutinized a bit to avoid "dawggy cpus". I mean some clarity regarding actual benchmarking of various Pentium and Celeron products will reveal inconsistances if you are trying to compare specs within the Intel product line. Another way of putting it is, "How the heck do they sell that product, rated that way, and it performs like it does compared to an AMD?" To me there is less confusion over what AMD sells.

I'll say you have the right idea, Compmon123

Pin down the costs of the cpu and/or chipset & mobo first.
Add the hd (may as well make it large) and encase the works in a generous size box.

Its the learning as you go that counts in the long run.

Keep in pursuit of information, google and cross-reference things ... post here as ya go.

Edited by phawgg, 22 December 2005 - 08:13 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:41 AM

ok, so far ive heard that amd is better, i was thinking that too, but then some1 told me about the intel extreme edition and how it kick-ass it is for gaming. excuse my language, but then i said if thats the extreme top best thing right now for gaming, than intel is better for gaming. However, u guys are saying amd is better for gaming. So wat about gaming and photo editing, video encoding, etc in other words (gaming and other stuff) in equal amounts. lots of gaming but also lots of image/video/ editing multitasking,

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:46 AM

Stay away from the extreme edition, it is ridiculously overpriced. I'd go with an AMD in a desktop for almost any use. I don't like the Pentium 4 at all; it's high temp, high noise level, high priced; the only low thing about it is the performance. I liked the Pentium 3 and their mobile processors are good, and I've heard some good things about the Presler, but that is for the future, at the moment Intel is very much playing catchup in the desktop market.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

Hey Gang... would like to jump in on this if I can

First of all Salo the site you have there looks great... I do a fair amount of gaming but do graphic and web design for a living so Id say i Go the photo editing route more then gaming

Im also looking to rebuild my current custom build

I think the question I ask myself is do you want more performance for gaming or more performance for the photo editing stuff, would it be smart for one to think about what there main priority is and then choose parts based on that??

#9 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

lol. that is a toughy seeing as how i do like and do half half. lol. but now im going to start some photo editing and stuff to earn some extra money, so that i can buy some more video games lol.

#10 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

Well depending upon your budget you could buy the X2, they have destroyed (well maybe not destroyed, but, certainly have done better than) Intel processors in the same price range in everything! My advice is to go AMD currently they're cheaper, run cooler, and are much more efficient.

Edited by welco, 03 January 2006 - 06:13 PM.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#11 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

great then, AMD is my choice. So now i have to look for a AMD compatible motherboard lol. Thanx alot, ill post my progress, and maybe u guys can help in selecting a great mb. Thnx again, i love this site... =)

#12 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

So any of u guys know of a good motherboard then? Thnx in advanced.

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:42 AM

Motherboards come with very varying features and what you're going to need and what other hardware you're going to use is going to make the motherboard decision for you.

Without knowning a lot more about what your after I fell hesitant to recommend one, but if your going to screw my thumbs then this is a good one: ASUS A8N-E
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

I like the Abit AX8 and the KN8 ultra, I personally am on a EPoX board and have no complaints so, I also recommend anything from their Nforce4 lineup too.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#15 Compmon123

Compmon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

finally, a responce, and a good one too, thnx bro. ill check into them, as well as some other ppl recommended me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users