Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc wont boot after power cut off

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bufu26

bufu26

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hello all i have this problem,hope u can help me: :busy:

I have updated my bios from f5 to f8k (latest version downloaded from gigabyte)
the reason i have done this is because i want to upgrade my cpu to a phenom 2 955\965 and the latest version allows am3 cpus
i have downloaded the latest version,upgraded the first time with @bios from windows (i know that was not wise but i didnt knew at that time)-restart-
-Computer didnt boot.Cleared cmos,entered bios -qflash- installed the old bios,everything back to normal.
After that i tried upgrading to newest version with qflash.Upgrading went fine,restarted,loading factory settings in bios,rerstart,loading os,cpu-z showing the new verrsion of bios - f8k.
the big PROBLEM is that every time i unplug the power cord from the psu,or just hit the on\off button on the back of the psu,the computer wont boot anymore.Fans come on,hard drive comes on and the cdrom is making a sound as the system would restart over and over again.
IF i clear the cmos with the jumper,computer boots,everything is fine, but after power is cut it wont boot again until i reset cmos.
I flashed bios again to the old version(f5) and the problem dissapeares.
After that i tried flashing again,I tried every version but they all have the same problem.
i teared the computer apart,checked everything inside,left only 1 stick of ram,video card and cpu cooler,still experiencing the same problem.
what is the problem? i even wrote to gigabyte,they told me to:
1) Turn off power.
2) Remove the power cord from the PSU.
3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 5 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
4) Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
5) Connect power cord to PSU again and turn on power.
6) Power on your system.
7) If BIOS can POST, please enter the BIOS and load the fail-safe defaults setting.
8) Save changes and reboot the system.
I followed these steps exactly as they are written,no joy.
I even brought the pc to an "expert" he couldnt help either,he told me i have bad luck.Thats a really bad joke!
I really want to upgrade the proc and i dont want to buy a new mobo,i like this very much
here are my system specs:

phenom 9650 with zalman 9700 nt
gigabyte 750a sli mobo
gigabyte gts 450 (planning to add a second one)
2x 2gb kingmax 1066
seagate barracuda 7200.12 - 1 tb
arctic cooling fusion 550r - 500w,550 peak
aerocool modern-v fan controller,3 fans
windows 7 ultimate 64 and windows xp 64 edition (i'm using it just for the horizontal span when i game,i have two 24" monitors)
mobo and bios : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=2819#bios

I really really hope u can figure this out, i am running out of ideas. :wacko:

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

I can relate to your issue.

Not to steer you off track here, but I ran into a problem with one BIOS upgrade I did.

The last and final BIOs update for my motherboard was a BETA version 1015.bin

I am rather leary about using BETA anything when it comes to things like this.

So I went with the last available firmware update which was a final release candidate which was 1014.bin

The flash went well and the system booted successfully, was even able to get into the BIOS to setup system defaults.

The problem I ran into was I was not able to enter the BIOS setup utility again.

Everything else ran fine, so I did a google search on that firmware version and realized there was a bug in that version that was never corrected.

So I went with the 1015.bin BETA release and have not had any issues since.

In fact I am still using that BETA version and have been since 2009.

So my point is, your .bin files may have a bug in the code that they seem to be to lazy to fix.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

Yes, this could very well be, but with every version?
I mean i tried f6,f7,f8k. They all work fine until power is lost and i have to reset cmos. This is extremely painfull as i often take out the power cord to work inside the case,power is failing quite a lot in the house too,not to mention overclocking,but thanks for the reply! any other ideas?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery with a new one to rule out the possibility the battery is weak?

Strange as it may seem, if the battery is low, the BIOS can do strange things, even if it is still keeping the time and date updated.

For the cheap price of a new one, it's worth trying a new one.

If your battery is new, then we'll look for another solution.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

yes,i changed the battery with a brand new one.
even changed ram sticks,onfortunately kingmax,but at 533mhz,still didnt boot after i kill power to mobo.
The strangest thing (and this kills me)is that its working fine with f5,so the motherboard itself isnt damaged,psu also,the whole system is not even 2 years old.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

mobo and bios : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...?pid=2819#bios

I tried clicking this link and was presented with this error.

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

I want to check out what BIOS updates are available for your motherboard and what the updates might contain, however I am not able to find this information without a little more help from you.

Is this your motherboard?

http://www.gigabyte.bz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2819&dl=1#ov

Bruce.

EDIT: Corrected link to motherboard above.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 March 2011 - 01:38 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

If it is your motherboard, is this the page you downloaded your BIOS firmware from?

http://www.gigabyte.bz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2819&dl=1#bios

Is this the firmware version you tried to flash to the BIOS?

F8K 2010/06/02 1.Update CPU ID (Support AM3 CPU)

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hello,thank you for your reply.
these are the things i tried until now:
-changed ram sticks
-unplugged everything non-essential
-tried the route someone told me to try,to flash from f5 to f6,f7 and then to f8,the problem appeared in f6 already,didnt continue after that
-tried changing ram settings
-set cpu,ht,nb and ram settings from auto to manual(i set everything to default value cpu-200,ht-1800,nb-1800,ram-1066) after that windows just booted into BSOD
-i even checked the differences between bios versions,found none,some names are just renamed and the latest version got the amd c1e support
- so with the new versions of bios i cant change anything cpu or ram related or the os would crash,i can change however other settings,like power options
-i disabled anything that has to do with power
i just can't solve this,i don't know where the problem lies and its very frustrating.
oldest version (f5) is working perfectly,so the problem must lie somewhere in the new bios options that doesnt coincide with the old default settings,am i right?
thank you in advance,i hope your professional experience will know what to do.

bufu26 I added your personal message to me to this thread.
The reason I did this is I prefer you to stay active in this thread where other helpful BC members can participat in helping us out. This will provide us with more possibilities that someone out there may have a solution that has already worked for them.
I hope you don't mind me adding your personal message to this thread just for that reason.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 March 2011 - 03:45 PM.

#9 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

1 - yes,that is my motherboard :clapping:

2 - yes, that is the site i downloaded the files from :busy:

3 - no i don't mind you posting my "personal" message,after all,its nothing personal about it,its just information on what i tried so far. :blink:

4 - i flashed the bios and reset cmos countless times,won't i damage the board? i'm starting to worry i can do some physical damage.. :o

#10 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

i even found a version that is not listed on the gigabyte site - f8f from 06/03/2009 - no luck with that one either

heres a post from another forum: "It's not the flash/reset of the bios that may be a problem, but the powering up and down of the motherboard that may strain the circuits and blow a component on the board."
hope this will guide us to the right path.

#11 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

I tried setting options in bios one after another
Os crashes when i set cpu multiplier from auto to 11.5 (default)
here is the windows error log:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8004764010
BCP2: FFFFF8800F232354
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\030911-21750-01.dmp
C:\Users\BUFU\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-41250-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

#12 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

another very strange thing i observed as i took out my vga card (not solving the problem though)
- as i enter "standard cmos features" i hear a humming from the motherboard,its like the humming the cpu does when running prime95 but at a much higher pitch.Is this normal? what could it be?
-as i exit,it stops. its making the sound only when i'm on that page.

#13 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

i noticed that after each cmos clearing with the jumper the date and time settings remain intact. Didnt it suppose to clear everything? or am i doing something wrong? I usually clear by switching off the psu,removing power cord,putting in jumper for about 10-15 seconds. :wacko:

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

I am wondering if this is a cooling fan vibration you are hearing.

Your processor may have a defect built into the die.

Have you tried re-seating the processor into the slot?

Checked the processor for signs of over heating?

Have you removed the heat sink and re-applied thermal grease to the processor heat spreader?

Bruce.

#15 bufu26

bufu26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:47 AM

i know what sound the processor does when i am running prime95,this is a totally different sound.
The only fan installed is the processor fan and thats spinning at 500rpm in idle,can;t hear a thing.
I didnt reposition the cpu,and the thermal grease is relatively new,3 or 4 months old.
"Your processor may have a defect built into the die." - how can i detect this? It ran very well for 1 year,even oced it to 2.8.
Temps again are very good:
Stock: 20c in idle / 40c prime95
OC: 30c in idle / 50c prime95
i am currently running factory settings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users