Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Vista Disk Cleanup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Metalhead1395

Metalhead1395

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

I am running Vista on my computer and for the past couple of days, it has been starting to run kind of slow. I used the disk cleanup function, which I normally do about once or twice a week. When it started to load it would just freeze while scanning when it came to system error dump files. It took me several hours yesterday instead of minutes to be able to clean my computer. I had to go into Safe mode and use the disk cleanup. Then I went into the problem reports file in the control panel to delete those. But I just try to run it again this morning, and it froze once again. I normally have no problems at all.

I ran MalwareBytes and it didn't find anything. I did a quick scan on my Norton's and it didn't find anything wrong. Just a few tracking cookies. I went to adobe and deleted websites that showed up on the flash.

Is something trying to attack my computer who is my computer just freaking out over something? It is a Compaq desktop and I have had it for about 3 years.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

Start-run-regedit. Locate HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\volumecaches\compress old files. Delete this key and it will run.

If you're uncomfortable editing the registry an easy solution to that problem is to go to the link below (Kelly's Korner) and scroll down to 48 and you'll see the "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes" Fix in the right column, download it and run it which should correct your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

"To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes

Just click on the words "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes" not the underscored word "Undo".

It will correct your problem.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/disk-cleanup-freezes-up/104120.html

Edited by zbd, 06 March 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

WARNING!!! The above suggestion involves editing of the registry. Improper editing of the registry can cause your computer to become unbootable. ALWAYS backup your registry before modifying the registry.

To backup your registry, create a System Restore point. Alternatively, you can use the free utility ERUNT to create backups of your registry: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Metalhead1395

Metalhead1395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thank you. What is the registry? Sorry, I am not very computer savvy. Is there another way to do it, because I don't want to mess up and basically kill my computer.
Thank you for all the help.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

First of all, I suggest, you leave dump files alone.
They're important, when it comes to computer troubleshooting.

If you want to clean all other garbage, I suggest...

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users