Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Boot In Safe Mode Freezes, 50% Physical Memory Load....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ChefRob

ChefRob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:04 PM

When I try to reboot in safe mode, it freezes while loading.... Cant figure out why or where to start with a solution....

also, my comp is running on roughly 50% (or more) load on the physical memory, with insanely high (in my own opinion) process usage....

I've got a Toshiba Satelite A85-S107 laptop
1.4Ghz Intel Celeron M
703 megs of ram

Can someone steer me in the right direction to solve my woes?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated....

Thanks in advance

Chef Robert Maner :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

Are you saying Windows will load normally, but not in safe mode?

Or Windows won't boot at all?

BTW, welcome to BC!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 05:25 PM

Windows loads fine, and quite quickly

but it will not load in safe mode

#4 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

*Update*

Scanned with Ad/Aware, and Spybot, a few things came up, cleaned them (mainly tracking cookies), Scanned with a few different online virus scans, all came up clean, currently scanning with my default McAfee Virus Scan....
Windows Safe mode still crashes when trying to boot in it, the window never actually loads.... Standard Win still loads fine and quick.

Still running very high commit charges, and processes are taking up alot of physical memory

I'm avg about 50-60% physical memory load, and given that I've got 703 mb of Ram, that seems way too high to me (I'm no tech, so I may be wrong)

Any Suggestions? I'll be posting a HiJackthis log shortly....

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

Start the computer normally.

Open the Task Manager. ctrl + alt + delete
Click on the Processes tab
Look under the CPU heading and see what processes are running high numbers.

Let us know.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 12:16 PM

svchost.exe SYSTEM 55,636K
explorer.exe 43,920
crss.exe 8676k
svchost.exe 7944k
services.exe 6908k
svchost.exe 5848k
spoolsv.exe 5412
svchost.exe 4388k
ctfmon.exe 4384k
twsctrl.exe 4360k
snmp.exe 3832k
ati2evxx.exe 3792k
alg.exe 3560k
svchost.exe 3476k
svchost.exe 3364k
oasclnt.exe 3128k
TPTray.exe 3108k
agrsmmsg.exe 2848k
ati2evxx.exe 2668k

My McAfee system takes up a bit but I left it's processes out of the above list, there are a few more proceses running but the amount of mem is minimum

The memory problem, is not my main concern, I still cant figure out why safe mode crashes....

Edited by ChefRob, 22 December 2005 - 12:18 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

The memory load looks ok to me.

Have you checked your Event Viewer for any errors around the time of the crashes? Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. In the left hand pane will be 3 categories (Application, Security, and System). Click on each one, in turn, and then check for errors in the right hand pane.

Let us know what you find and that should give us a clue about where to start. (but, to tell the truth, since Safe Mode is a stripped down load of normal Windows - there's got to be something pretty seriously messed up in there. You may be facing a format and reinstall).

I'm not familiar with these processes - you might want to check them out:

twsctrl.exe 4360k
snmp.exe 3832k
oasclnt.exe 3128k
TPTray.exe 3108k
agrsmmsg.exe 2848k

Edited by usasma, 22 December 2005 - 06:30 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:54 PM

when scrolling through the loading sequences when trying to load safe mode, it freezes at the following line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\Drivers\Atisgkaf.sys

Edited by ChefRob, 22 December 2005 - 07:11 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:06 PM

The majority of the problems that I found associated with Atisgkaf.sys are video problems associated with laptop computers.

There should be additional errors in your Event Viewer - please check for them!

One of the problems mentioned is heat - I know nothing about the interior of a Toshiba laptop, so I can't help there.

You can try to uninstall the ATI drivers using the Catalyst uninstaller - then try reinstalling the drivers to see if that fixes the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

Well, i've tried re-installing the ati drivers, no dice... problem still exists
I've searched through the errors, and I see nothing regarding the ati drivers or card.

I've read a few other forums dealing with similar problems, and most have heat issues, some dust issues, but with all of those problems, the computer either crashes all together, or the screen cuts off or some other major problem...
but seeing how xp is loading fine and there are no problems in normal mode.... I really dont get it....
The only problem comes when trying to boot in safe mode.....

Could the addition of the extra 512 mb of ram to the original 256megs, be causing an increase in heat? in turn causing the problems?

also, the Ram i used was Kingston Value Ram
what is the difference between the standard kingston ram vs. the kingston value ram? (other than about 100 dollar price difference)

#11 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:30 PM

I'm thinking I may run my laptop down to a comp tech, and have them open the case and do a cleaning.... out here where I live, dust is insane, so there could be a nasty buildup of dust....

#12 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:46 AM

*UPDATE*

Well, I decided to just bite the bullet, and using my recovery cd that came with the laptop, reinstalled windows, not too much info loss, seeing how I had all my important files backed up...

I wish I could have figured out the culprit to the problem.....I'd really like to have known what caused it.......
But to everyone that tried to help, Thank You.......your input was much appreciated.

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:06 AM

Here's a link to a demonstration of taking Toshiba laptops apart - choose your model!

Toshiba Laptops

ChefRob - can you run your laptop for a while then post back to confirm (or deny) ther problem is gone?

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#14 ChefRob

ChefRob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:21 AM

Will do, I appreciate it....

One more question, In case the problem has to do with heat, is there anything that can be done to boost the cooling capacity?

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:03 PM

I believe there is some kind of cooling 'mat" you can put underneath a laptop and it runs off the USB port power but I don't know any details, never having used one. Better search for reviews.

Here's an example from a brief google Laptop cooler

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users