Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Boots from the CD as expected and goes thru the install process fine, until the first re-boot (after copying files) the system then displays the standard "press any key to boot from cd", I ignore this and then the system just hangs with the cursor blinking in the top left.
System is a Clone with a ASRock K7VM2 Motherboard running 956MB SDRAM. OS on drive being reinsatlled is XP PRofessional SP2 BUT this drive came off a motherboard that failed ( cant remember the model). I just want to do a reinstall in the Windows folder so I can now run it on the current ASRock board

Edited by Nigelajodha, 06 March 2011 - 11:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

What happens if you remove the cd at that point (just before it reboots)? And what do you mean you "want to do a reinstall in the Windows folder"?

Edited by Allan, 06 March 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

By doing a reinstall I would be able to continue using my drive ..as is, on another motherboard. That way I dont lose anything. If I remove the CD nothing still happens. The screen is at the point saying " press any key to boot from CD" and it just stays there ( checked it....for 3 hours).This part is where the user is not supposed to press anything but XP is supposed to start loading for itself

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

<<By doing a reinstall I would be able to continue using my drive ..as is, on another motherboard.>>

Faulty logic, IMO.

Installing XP within XP...might work if the same motherboard, with same chipset/drivers was used...with the same hard drive.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

And...if you are using recovery/restore disks, that just compounds the situation, IMO.

Louis

#5 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the help and advice. This post is closed

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

I finally got me my "WHY". First up, due to my lack of professional IT training I will take most specs on any device as trustworthy. I am by nature a trusting person who believes that apart from maybe a one off mistake on an assembly line , most devices will be made to spec.

MY "WHY" was ...the Power supply. All devices are working under a normal condition but for some reason for a software installation power requirements apparently are exact in nature or the software wont load.

I went back to the system and tried over and over. Same thing. Got annoyed with the unit and took out all other unnecessary PS terminals and just ran the one to the optical drive where the boot Cd was ( additional to the hard drive). It worked and the OS loaded with no problem. I don't know the specs on each terminal of a PS unit and from this experience will go and do some more reading on Power Supplies. So far I have come across one article that suggests many PS companies mis advertise their specs. In a discussion with a user over a particular brand of PS unit it was suggested that is what had happened and they gave reference to others who have had the same problem.

Thanks again for giving me an ear. I would always think as a novice even if I upgrade my skills professionally. My approach I have been told by a few IT professionals that I've worked around based on how I process stuff is quite unique.. time consuming but unique.

So if you come across anyone with this problem of the boot Cd not going past a certain point . Let them check their PS and its individual terminals. For some reason though their system would run normally with all devices attached in a normal boot enviroment. However on a installation it becomes an issue.

Rec'd above via PM.

I cannot answer "why" electronic components...I just know that anything manmade...has the potential to malperform. I could speculate on loose connection, bad connection, inadequate PSU, etc...but it would all be no more than speculation, since I don't have the system/PSU.

In any case, OP's resolution may help someone with similar issues :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users