Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having issues with my adapter.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vigilante18

Vigilante18

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Hi I have a BelkinF5D8053 N wirless adapter and a Belkin Wireless N-300 Router. For a while now the adapter has been giving me connection issues to my home network. This varies from no internet at all to the cutouts of 1.0 mbps. I have had several troubleshoots done and it comes up with that there is "no valid ip". From here I have done several resets of the both my adapter and router to no help. Then I did several IP release/renew to no help. The connection over time has gotten much worse. I have another desktop wired directly to the router and a laptop on wifi that works fine. I've been wondering lately if I have a bad adapter or if the router and adapter have some issue between them. I have updated all drivers still no help. Overtime the issues have gotten worse and worse. It was once where it would happen sometimes, now i will be lucky to get 5 min of internet.(I also used to get the internet right at start up, now there is a long delay)

Just to try it out I switched my old netgear g router back and that seems to work fine, but there is still some issue at startup and a long delay it seems. So now im at a loss. I would not like to call belkin because i believe most of them have no idea what's going on half the time. So i have come here.

My ipconfig log (without the very troublesome router):

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\User>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::25f3:1162:2fde:7a1d%24
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E8A91BDE-9B1E-4CB2-8564-04BFFB484143}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:24d2:ed3:b836:8ee
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24d2:ed3:b836:8ee%15
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Do not know if this is relevant:( I am a student trying to learn as much about programs as possible. A while ago I had Downloaded Virtual Box and was messing with Backtrack 4 and noticed i had no internet connection within virtual box. So while messing with virtual box, I accidentally filtered out my internet completely disabling it. Then uninstalled virtual box, internet came back,but eventually i ended up restoring to a certain point, then doing a full system restore. This then happens months later and I'm wondering if this had anything to do with it.)

Please Help!!!!

Edited by Vigilante18, 06 March 2011 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vigilante18

Vigilante18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Any Suggestions at all would be appreciated!

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Welcome to BC. What OS do you have? Can you ping anything?

IMO You should never post on your own unanswered post when you are waiting for a reply. A thread with 0 replies gets more response then a thread with 1 (looks like you are getting help).

Also, this site is inundated with people asking for help, not many are giving it so you have to wait more than two hours.

#4 Vigilante18

Vigilante18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Sorry I should have modified instead. I'm on my laptop now, because I cannot even get on the internet anymore on that PC. So I'm probably no longer, if i was even able too before going to be able to ping anything. I'm also running that pc on Windows 7.

Edited by Vigilante18, 06 March 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

What internet do you have behind the router, cable, dsl, dialup, wireless?

#6 Vigilante18

Vigilante18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

(Update: today I bought a new adapter. Everything seems to be working fine now. Seems to have been a hardware problem for the time being, will keep further updates. Thank You!)

I have a cable modem running through the router.

(Newer Update: The new adapter seems to be doing the same thing, but going wildly all through that range from 39.0 mbps to 104.0 mbps, never hitting 0 or lost connection so far though.)

Edited by Vigilante18, 06 March 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

thats good you can at least get online now. maybe you are too far away from your wireless router? Most have a range of 80-90 feet.

#8 Vigilante18

Vigilante18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

My Pc is on the second floor above my router about 15 feet i would say. I've also been able to have my laptop connect in the same place no problems at all. So my main concern if it's something with when I was using virtual box. That maybe a command line can fix? Any suggestions?

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have never used virtual box, but it sounds a lot like parrellels. In these virtualization programs they usually install a tap interface, maybe that is the problem. When you go into your network connections, do you see anything that doesn't belong there? For reference mine has:
Dialup
Local area connection
Wireless

Also, go into device manager and see if you have any red X's or yellow exclamation points.

So now, correct me if I am wrong, you can connect but the strength of your wireless signal is not very strong?

#10 Vigilante18

Vigilante18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

There seems to be nothing more that Local Area Connection 1&2 with wireless. I went into device manager also nothing. Connection strength always displays as excellent, but the problem seems the speed which with the old adapter would automatically hit 1.0 mbps with no internet, this new adapter seems to go anywhere from 121 mbps to 5.5 mbps in a matter of seconds.

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

has this hindered your ability to use the internet? Try and look at your isp's advertised speed and do some speedtests @ http://www.speedtest.net and see if this is effecting your actual download speed.

If it is too slow, go back to device manager and go to your wireless card and look for any setting for the wireless speed you can change. Mine says rate for each band, I chose best rate availible, here is a picture:

Posted Image

#12 Vigilante18

Vigilante18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Rigth when i did the test my spped went to 5.5 mbps and seems to be staying there, It couldn't even connect anymore to do the upload test. I did 3 test. 1st: (Ping 12, Download speed: 13.5, Upload speed:?), (2nd: Ping 12, Download speed: 5mbps, upload speed:2), 3rd:(ping:14, download: 5, upload speed couldn't connect). Itsays my adapter is also on best range.

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

ok. If it were me, I would be more than satisfied with those speeds. (I would almost kill to be that fast actually).

It seems to me like your wireless card is fluctuating in speed because it is far away from the router but it doesn't seem to be effecting anything. It should be fine.

If you must have it at the fastest rate possible then change the rate from best to whatever you want, the only problem with that is when the signal is going slower it won't connect.

By comparison, my wireless card says it is connected at 54mbps but I am right next to the router. Here is my actual speed: Posted Image

So I think the router connection speed is relative and doesn't make a big difference to how fast your internet connection is. Sounds like your old card crapped out completely and the new one is a little far away so it works but not perfectly but it should be fine.

#14 Vigilante18

Vigilante18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

I think it's a little more than fluctuating because it seems to be doing the same thing as the other adapter, the other adapter went down to 1.0 mbps and stayed, this one seems to do the same thing just at 5.5 mbps. So im guessing it's not an adapter issue. It used to work fine then one day boom, connection problem.

Edited by Vigilante18, 08 March 2011 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users