Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting without boot disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

The laptop i'm using is pretty old, and has never been reformatted. It's running slow and I was gonna try starting from scratch just to see if it'll work better, because there is nothing on it I need. However I don't have the original xp disc. I've looked up and saw that there are ways to reformat without it, such as using a linux boot disc, but when then I would have no way to get an OS on the laptop. So i was wondering if there was a way to reformat everything but the essential OS files. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Have you checked the system user manual...for recovery/restore options which don't call for removeable media?

Louis

#3 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

Its an IBM Thinkpad, near the screen it says T43 and the product ID is 266849U. Im not sure which is the model, and I do not know where the user manual is.
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

how to recover to factory defaults
http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/39t2332.pdf

something tells me this laptop came with windows vista. if so, whomever installed XP may have wiped the recovery partition.
good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users