Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Morning!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lindastuff

Lindastuff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

I had signed up for Bleepingcomputer.com because I was determined to get rid of the well known ABOUT:BLANK page that is a total annoyance. Slowed down the computer and popped up every time I went to another URL. Somewhere along the lines I found this information:
1. 1
Click "Start" and then "Control Panel." Depending on what version of Windows you are using, you may need to click "Start," point to "Settings" and then click on "Control Panel." Make sure your Control Panel is in Classic View and click on "Add/Remove Programs." If you are using Windows Vista, click "Start" and type in "Programs and Features."
2. 2
Look for "My Web Search," as well as "My Way Speedbar" and "My Way Search Assistant" in the list of currently installed programs. If you find any or all of them, select them one at a time and click "Remove" or "Uninstall." If you see a prompt asking whether you wish to uninstall the program, click "Yes."
3. 3
Open "My Computer" (or "Computer," if you are using Windows Vista). Double-click "Local Disk (C:)" and open the "Program Files" folder. Look for folders named "FunWebProducts" and "MyWebSearch." If you see them, right click each one and select "Delete."
I FOUND AND UNINSTALLED "MYLEARNEXPRESS AND AFTER CHECKING c:/PROGRAM FILES, FOUND FUNWEBPRODUCTS AND MYWEBSEARCH. This had something to do with a program for shopping online.4. 4
Click "Start" and "Run." In the "Open" box, type "regedit" and click "Go." In the Registry Editor, expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder. Next, expand the following folders in order: "SOFTWARE," "Microsoft," "Windows," "CurrentVersion" and "Run." If you see a file named "MyWebSearch Email Plugin," right-click it and choose "Delete."
5. 5
Run your spyware-removal program. If the program finds any remaining files belonging to "Mywebsearch Toolbar," remove them. Restart your computer after the scan is complete.
I used PCtools and it didn't get rid of the .dll file at start up soooo next.. Started a full scan, but then it appeared not to go any further, so I stopped it.It did find Adware.OneStepSearch-Medium risk level and I deleted that."I think" I finally wound up getting rid of the ABOUT:BLANK page now, after removing some of the uninstalling and removing some extra search bars. I do have one left, the small one all the way to the right with the magnyfying glass after it, but I'm not sure which one it is now and only want ONE search bar listed. Extra tool bars are useless to me, whatever I want as my start up page, I just add the url to IE's Home page! Soooo how do I get rid of this extra search bar, is it googles? I would think I can just delete it from somewhere at this point, now that I've uninstalled so much.. Anyway, that is why I signed up because ever so often I wind up with some problem that I want to correct on my own or change..
Thanks to anyone that knows the answer, Linda

Edited by hamluis, 06 March 2011 - 10:07 AM.
Moved from Introductions to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lusigioma

Lusigioma

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

Hello Lindastuff
Welcome to Bleeping :wink:
This is not 'the right section to post your problems. Soon a moderator moves you 'section for your own problem :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users