Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Youtube videos play audio but video screen all black

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:18 AM

Already tried a search about this on google, through YouTube, and through some links with FireFox.

System Details: FireFox Browser version 3.6.14, and now also on Internet Explorer version 8; Windows XP s.p. 3, YES fully updated; Norton Internet Security 2010, YES also fully updated - the definitions.

Problem Description: YouTube videos only will play the audio portions but the video screen part stays all black, so no video. This is only when trying to play Youtube videos. I have tried other video share sites like Vimeo and DailyMotion, and they work. This is a sudden problem, not more than one day old.

I tried doing internet search and looking through firefox links and some youtube information links, but not really much help. FireFox was updated on the machine two days ago and no problems noticed; next day, the all-black video display for YouTube videos began to occur. One suggestion was to clear all cookies and try again. This worked, but only for single play; after than, then only black video display while audio played. I tried changing and disabling Hardware Acceleration, but this did nothing for bringing back video play in YouTube videos.

I tried YouTube on two other machines and videos play well, both video component and audio component, but these other machines only have I.E. 8 as the browser. Not sure then what to think. Problem seems to be only on one machine, using XP sp3, with both IE 8 and FireFox 3.6.14 and only for YouTube videos, not videos from other sites.

I want to know anything that anyone knows, if anything definite IS known. So far, seems like FireFox (Mozilla) does not yet know enough and YouTube does not know enough.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

Flash may be corrupted. Use the uninstall tool at this link and then install a new copy. Flash has been updated anyway. I downloaded the new version this morning.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:17 AM

Flash may be corrupted. Use the uninstall tool at this link and then install a new copy. Flash has been updated anyway. I downloaded the new version this morning.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

My initial thought about uninstalling and then reinstalling Flash Player is that doing so is overly drastic. The problem I described on using YouTube does not happen on Metacafe and does not happen on Dailymotion, which also seem to use the Adobe Flash Player. Also, I checked which version of Flash Player is installed on the old XP machine: it is 10.2.152.32

While playing some videos through YouTube, and even through Dailymotion and metacafe, I found a right-click menu which contains "Settings" and which shows a checkbox to enable or disable Hardware Acceleration. I'm not sure if disabling this Hardware Acceleration through the video itself does something on my computer on somewhere else. I wonder, is this setting different than the setting that I find through Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices on my computer?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

It could but uninstalling and reinstalling Flash should be tried first. It's not drastic and fairly standard procedure when dealing with Flash. It will take about five minutes. But you have to use the uninstall tool or it won't work. Adobe just released a new version of Flash so you will need to update anyway.

#5 check it

check it

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

i tried this myself but the youtube videos are still blackened out.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

The fix to the problem for the one machine on which this was occurring was disabling the Hardware Acceleration directly from the Settings... menu through any opened YouTube video. With the YouTube video open (any YouTube video on YouTube), I right-clicked the video screen, left-clicked on Settings, unchecked the Use Hardware Acceleration box, and then the result was that all YouTube videos play normally (or as normally as they did before this other 'all black screen' problem started). The fix worked for both IE 8 AND FireFox 3.6.15 after just making the fix on YouTube through one browser.

I have since accepted two more Flash Player updates, both seemingly the version 10.2.152.32, and I never did any uninstall.

One thing I now notice, both on the one machine which had the problem and on another machine which did not have the problem, in I.E., and in Firfox, the Settings menu is dimmed and therefore not available. One machine is a laptop with Windows Vista and only IE 8; the other machine is a laptop with Windows XP and both IE 8 and FireFox. Someone else I know has a tower computer with Windows 7, IE 8, and the YouTube rightclick Settings menu shows this menu item to be undimmed, therefore still available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users