Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes, but mouse moves. (Read more, ultimately unsolvable problem for many computers. )

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:11 AM

This problem occurs on more than just windows computers, even MACs and custom made linux computers. I've done research, now let me give you all the details you will need.

Okay, so I'm on my mom's laptop that she bought from a pawn shop.
Oh course, not a very good idea but it was cheap. 100 dollars:

2GB ram, dual core intel pentium 2ghz, Intel GMA x4500, 120GB HDD. Windows 7 ultimate.

she is a light web user that just browses the web. so it is beyond her requirements.

Anyway, to the point, she told me her computer freezes but her mouse still moves.
At first I suspected it was a video card problem, updated the drivers.
I then suspected it was a hard disk problem, ran check disk, everything was normal.
I then scanned the system files, normal.
Virus scan, normal. ( Mbam. )
Cleaned the registry.
682MB registry capacity,
47MB used.
Just a few unused extensions.
By the way, the computer freezes after 5 minutes, sometimes 30, maybe even an hour. one time it was functioning for 4 hours, whilst watching a few movies.
The thing is, when it freezes adn you hover over text box field, or buttons, the cursor still changes animations. If you change the size of the window using the left edge of it ( <-> ) it will update all windows. But any other side won't effect anything. If you resize the task bar itw ill also update the windows. But no functionality is resumed.

I don't know if the copy of windows 7 is bad, it has an old user account that the pawn shop person added her name to. Hername-PC-oldowners name.

The hard disk is partioned into two 55GB hard drives.
The second partition is empty.

I've read threads where people encountered the problem, but that trail just leads to unresolved problems, and a graveyard of dead threads. I am computer literate, and I won't give up unless there is no actual solution.

I've reset the BIOS by the way, still nothing. safe mode doesn't lock up, I'm in it at the moment. I will be leaving 3/6/11 around 4 PM central time. (US)

Although, I will be able to receive your messages and assist my mother in resolving this issue. If it ultimately comes to no resolution, I will reformat and re-install fresh copy of windows 7 as I own proffesional and home CDs.

But please, at least help me resolve all this without coming to that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snall

Snall

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

Um, just me maybe, but if it's NOT a hardware problem doing a freshinstall, especially from a PC that is from some random person....is probably a good idea even if you DIDNT have these problems.

#3 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:16 AM

Um, just me maybe, but if it's NOT a hardware problem doing a freshinstall, especially from a PC that is from some random person....is probably a good idea even if you DIDNT have these problems.

Not ultimately a good idea, in fact every single program on it was wiped. It has the bare basics, and again, I ran scans on almost everything. It may be solvable, and also I need help targeting the main problem, it could ultimately be the hard drive.

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 06 March 2011 - 03:17 AM.

#4 Snall

Snall

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:19 AM

Well a good reformat, especially a HDD helper/fixer type, followed by an install would prob tell you if it's hardware or not...*shrug*. Especially since there's really nothing on there anyway.

#5 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:46 AM

Well a good reformat, especially a HDD helper/fixer type, followed by an install would prob tell you if it's hardware or not...*shrug*. Especially since there's really nothing on there anyway.

She's already put a lot of things on there, about 60GB. Reinstalling is a waste of time, but it can evidently be more than a hard disk problem. Of course a hardware one, as you stated, which is why I, again, need assistance in testing every single thing. INCLUDING software.

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 06 March 2011 - 03:48 AM.

#6 NicciAdonai

NicciAdonai

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Here are some steps I might try, in the order I might try them:

- Try the Ctrl + Shift + Esc combo. If the task manager opens, try to shut down explorer.exe. If successful, re-open: click File > Run, then type explorer.exe into the box and press Enter. (This will not permanently fix the problem, but may give you a clue, as well as give you a way to continue troubleshooting without rebooting when the system freezes.)

- Check Event Viewer for application/system errors that might be related.

- Disable Aero.

- Try a system restore to a point before the problem began occurring.

- Test the RAM. (BTW, I have encountered a problem where Windows 7 memory tester--and maybe MemTest, can't remember--returned no errors, but physical trial-and-error testing revealed that one of my sticks was the cause of my problem.)

- Update all drivers--especially chipset drivers.

If I absolutely did not want to format/clean install:

- Use a temperature-monitoring program to, well, monitor your temps. Ensure temps are within spec for your equipment. This would normally just cause reboots, but might be worth a shot.

- Remove the battery and run it with power adapter only.

- Remove the power adapter and run it with battery only.

- Blow out dust from vents with compressed air.

- Open it up and blow out more dust. Also check for liquid or any other signs of physical damage.

Gotta go to lunch. Maybe this will get you started. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users