Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to set up router

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shane-N

Shane-N

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:25 AM

I just purchased a new samsung blue ray that can stream because i watch a lot of movies. I also bought a linksys E1000 router and a new 25 oot Ethernet cord. I thought i just plugged the blue ray into the router and then the router into the tower. But it seems the modem is supposed to plug into the router then the router plugs into the blue ray and the router plugs also into the tower. Is that correct? The problem if i am understanding this is... my router is in the kitchen and my room is where my stuff (PC, and blue ray) is. So is there any other way( except having the isp running a cable from the box all the way to my room) to set this up ????
Namaste

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

Looked up your router. It has wireless ability.

Does your PC? Is it a lap top or Desk top?

#3 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

My system is a PC not a laptop. I dont want to have to buy the wireless card for the Blueray player, Thats why i bought the Ethernet cable. The PC has the capability thoe.
Namaste

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

To the best of my knowledge, not wanting to go wireless, leaves running cable as the only other option.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

this may work ..
not sure if i have your setup correct but ... router in kitchen ... Pc upstairs connects to router through wireless , correct?
Does pc also have ethernet connection ? If so connect blue ray here.
set ip for blue ray in your range and default gateway = the ip of your wireless nic.

#6 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

But... it is all the way out till the 15th untill they can install a cable outlet in my room and it is 60$ anyway... when the card for wifi on the samsung blue ray is only 80. So im going with the linksys stik for the blue ray player. Before i go spend 80$ please verify i am correct with how this all works. OK, so i go from the ethernet that comes from my bedroom wall into the router, then from the router with another ethernet i go to my PC, then i just install the wireless card into the bluye ray, correct?

What i don't get is why i can not do what i just said, but instead of putting the card into the blue ray put another ethernet cord from router to blue ray. I mean the modem in the kitchen has the internet calbe plugged into it. Then from the modum an ethernet goes to the wall in the kitchen and is ran in the walls to my bedroom. So in my room i have an ethernet connection. Rightnow that ethernet plug in my room just runs straight from wall into back of pc. Why not take the ethernet hole in my bedroom wall run it to the router then run 2 more cables from router.....one to pc.....one to blue ray. That is how i thought this worked? No? My house is one story and my internet is not wireless. I have a cable hard wire.

Edited by Shane-N, 06 March 2011 - 07:21 PM.

Namaste

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

yes that should work. I did not understand the setup before. I thought router was in kitchen and only access from your room was wireless. Give it a go.

#8 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

This is all very confusing. I have been on the phone with every one in the world and this is the conclusion i have come to. I have to plug the router i purchased into the modum which is in the kitchen. That will inturn make my signal wireless. Then i just plug in an adapter to my blue ray and bam! I am in buisness. So now my only question is what happens to the hardwired connection to my PC? Will it still work?

From what i was told what i asked about in last post will not work.

Edited by Shane-N, 06 March 2011 - 09:03 PM.

Namaste

#9 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

OK This is the whole confusion, This should not be difficult. I have a router. I want to use ethernet connections not wiresess. The directions for the router say to plug the modem into the router. My modem is in another room but it is wired throught the walls to my bedroom which is where i am trying to get internet to my blue ray. so when it says plug the motem into the router i can just plug the ethernet that comes out of my wall into the router because from the wall that etherent is running out to the kitchen to the motem....Right? Please tell me yes
Namaste

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

what you are saying is right, however you must configure the router. your manual is here http://homedownloads.cisco.com/downloads/userguide/E1000_V10_UG_USA_NC-WEB.pdf
enable DHCP on router
if windows pc, set to connect automatically
blue ray (grey area for me) may have to be configured in router manually. also it may have to be told the gateway which by default for that router is 192.168.1.1
wire from modem through wall must plug in to internet port (yellow) on back of router.

first bring the pc on line and make sure it can connect before plugging in the blue ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users