Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded built pc now xp bsod on startup

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 MistyC

MistyC

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

Hi! I tried to fit all info I could in the topic lol

I am using my iPod touch so I can not link you to my old thread.. We have a built computer that started having bsod issues.. I was working with someone on here who said to check the ram. We do not have an additional pc to make the cd they recommended. So, we decided to just update everything & this is where we are at.

It is a windows xp, custom built (aka pc repair student built it who happens to be my husband lol) it worked great for a year or so. Lately we get a bsod anytime we would click on too many links at 1 time or opened up something graphics heavy..

We changed the motherboard out as well as the ram & the graphics cards. When we turn the pc on, it loads up to the windows logo & then bsod and restarts. When we load it into safe mode it gives me an error that says something about windows set up can not run in safe mode, then it restarts again..

I did run a chkdisk /r twice, as the first time it said it found one or more errors.

This is the list if things we installed.. Please let me know what else you need to know. Tyia

Asus p5n-t deluxe Motherboard (new)
2 Ocz ram sticks 2 gigs each (these were from pc originally)
2 corsair ram sticks 2 gigs each (new)
2 evga 9500 gt graphics cards (new)
Western digital 500 gig 7200 rpm hdd (original not changed)
Intel core 2 quad 6700 processor (original not changed)

My husband just reminded me.. The first time we booted it up it DID load up to windows completely. We got a pop up to update Ethernet drivers, we said yes to the update. After it downloaded the Ethernet drivers it restarted & that was when it bsod on boot.

Thank you for your help in advance!
2 Corsair ram sticks 2 gigs each

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

After swapping out the motherboard, did you reinstall Windows? Though the PC started somewhat normally once, that doesn't mean much. Replacing the motherboard often requires a reinstall of Windows due to various drivers and configuration settings that are specific to motherboards. Replacing the motherboard, especially if it isn't the same model as before, could drastically alter those drivers and settings.

3939.png

#3 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

I did try to do a repair windows.. We were going to backup our hard drive in safe mode & then just reformat the hard drive & reinstall windows. But of course can not get safe mode to work now. Would reinstalling windows wipe out the hard drive?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Reinstalling windows will wipe all data on the hard drive.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

Ok so I can't do that right now... I have a brand new external hdd, could that help? Or what if we bought a new hdd for the pc?

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

I would clone the existing drive to the external using a program like Acronis. Then you can do a clean install and transfer whatever files you need from the old drive image back to the fresh install.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Ok. If we take everything new off & put the old stuff back, would it work long enough to back up (or clone) the hdd? Right now I have no pc to download that program..

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Probably.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

An alternative would be to get another hard drive, remove the old one, install the new one along with Windows, then plug the old drive back in to salvage data either directly or through a dock/enclosure. Some versions of Linux may allow you to access the old drive and copy stuff off to a new one using a free Live CD.

3939.png

#10 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

Ok Ty. I just purchased a new hdd & it should be here by wednesday.. Hopefully we can get this all straightened out by then! Ty for your help!

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

Hope it all works out.

>Michael 

#12 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Ok we have the new hard drive in. But we are still getting the bsod. We can load in safe mode & we got it online for a little bit before the first bsod. Any suggestions? The only ? On the device manager is for my printer because we have not installed it yet. When we view the hidden files nothing changes (as far as errors)

I will post our event log screen shot in one second. Thank you for your help!

#13 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

Not sure if that will work..

Ok we removed everything not needed (USB, Ethernet cord, FireWire, everything that hooks up via USB & even removed the 2 old ram sticks..) and we still bsod.

Edited by MistyC, 10 March 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#14 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Just to clarify...you are getting a BSOD after a clean install of windows on the new drive?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#15 MistyC

MistyC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

Right

This is so frustrating... I can get it online via safemode right now so if there is something I have to download, I can. Ty again in advance for any help..

Edited by MistyC, 10 March 2011 - 09:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users