Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAMP - FTP works, HTTP does not

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dkaczynski

dkaczynski

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

Hi all,

My goal is to host a website from home. I have a domain name through which I can successfully FTP to and from my server from outside my local network. I can HTTP my localhost from within my local network. However, all HTTP requests from outside my home network timeout.

I already have a LAMP set-up via VMware Player on my Windows XP machine. I configured the Ethernet adapter as bridged so that my home router gives the LAMP its own IP address.

My LAMP is running Ubuntu Server 10.10, Apache 2, PHP 5, and MySQL, all successfully. I am using vsftpd for my FTP server daemon, and it works! I can successfully FTP my LAMP from anywhere on the Internet.

To re-iterate, my issue is that HTTP requests are timing out from outside of my local network. I can access my local host just fine from within my local network, and I can FTP from anywhere, but I cannot HTTP from anywhere.

I have disabled the Windows Firewall that is running the LAMP virtual machine, just in case.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

-dkac

p.s., I'm considering using another port to access my localhost, as I hear ISPs can limit port 80 traffic. Any suggestions on the feasibility of using another port to access localhost on the Internet?

Edited by dkaczynski, 05 March 2011 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users