Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Anti-virus 2011

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kikicool

kikicool

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi there, all! Thanks in advance for helping me. I most assuredly need it!
My other computer was infected with XP Anti-Virus 2011, when my husband was attempting to download an iPod fix of some sort. It's sort of an extra computer, used only for itunes and pictures. So I'm not even sure what the latest anti-virus software on there is. I see I have Malwarebytes and Spybot. I thought I had AVG but I can't see it....

Anyhoo, did I mention I'm not too technologically inclined? :)

The worst part is that the virus is redirecting me online no matter what browser I use, or where I try to go. That's where I start feeling violent towards it.

The computer in question has XP Home edition. It is networked to this laptop, which is Vista.

So I guess my questions are:
1. Is there some way I can download spyware on this computer and run it on that computer? OR that I can use what I have on this one (AVG) to clean that one? Or, if there's another anti-virus program you recommend (preferably free?)

2. Is there some way I can start it in safe mode and manually remove the virus? It's true that I'm not much of a techie, but I'm pretty damn kick-ass at following directions. It's true!

THANK YOU most kindly! I'm signing off for tonight so I don't destroy either computer. I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Katie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Follow this guide: How do I remove XP Anti-virus 2011?

#3 kikicool

kikicool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Wow, that sounds simple enough. :) Thank you! I'll have to run out and get a CD. Haven't used on of those in a while. :) Unless I can download it on the networked computer and move it over? Is that possible?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Id recommend isolating the infected computer until it is cleaned up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users