Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Movie Maker replacement for Win7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

A friend recently bought a new all in one with Win 7 after their XP PC died. In XP they used Windows Movie Maker a lot and really does not like live movie maker and wants to find a different app that's more like XPs Windows Movie Maker, any suggestions?

This friends technical ability is very very low, so it will need to be a lot like using WMM. I don't do movie editing, so I can't give them any advice.

Thanks
-AWG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Have them download Windows Live Essentials from Microsoft, and it will come with Windows Live Movie Maker.

#3 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

Have them download Windows Live Essentials from Microsoft, and it will come with Windows Live Movie Maker.

Thanks for the quick response, cryptodan. I believe I had already said that they didn't like Live Movie Maker. They want third party software that's similar to XPs Windows Movie Maker.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:27 AM

I doubt that that kind of software exists as WMM was free. Whats the issues with Windows Live Movie Maker?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

CNET would be the best place to look for freeware.

If you want really good editing options, you would have to purchase a program from either Nero or Roxio which is designed for making and editing home made movies.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hello AWG,

Just something to try.

I know someone the same way with windows movie maker.
He would not use Windows Live Movie maker, as he says "its just not the same".

What we have found is if you download the

Windows Movie Maker v. 6.2 for VISTA
it actually instails and runs good on Windows 7

Give it a try and let me know how it goes :)

#7 NDlvr

NDlvr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

A friend recently bought a new all in one with Win 7 after their XP PC died. In XP they used Windows Movie Maker a lot and really does not like live movie maker and wants to find a different app that's more like XPs Windows Movie Maker, any suggestions?

This friends technical ability is very very low, so it will need to be a lot like using WMM. I don't do movie editing, so I can't give them any advice.

Thanks
-AWG

AWG, I understand your friend's pain.  I went from Vista to 7 and I have WLMM myself.  I recommend downloading Windows Movie Maker 2.6, it's the XP version I do believe.    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34

Also, If your friend would like to check out WMM 6.0 (the vista version): http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html

I do hope this helps :)

xoxo, Jen

#8 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

awg1011

This link is for a free movie maker software, the pro "paid" version is used by many movie producers.

Hope this helps!

http://www.lwks.com/

Edited by GB2064, 03 June 2013 - 10:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users