Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Issues, Including Missing Tray Icons

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Never thought I'd have to post in here, but I suppose I was wrong.

I'll go over the various issues I've been experiencing for a few months now.

#1: System Tray Icons

Well, I have an idea on how I started thing issue. I was screwing around with Disk Cleanup and accidentally removed a few system utilities (like Paint and WordPad), but I fixed them and brought them back, so everything is reinstalled. However, I noticed that my system tray icons were different; most were missing. I assumed they would return after I reinstalled all of the missing utilities, but they didn't. Only once in a blue moon now do all of them start accordingly. Sometimes, when a tray icon SHOULD appear, like when I open a program that creates one, it doesn't, though my iTunes and mIRC icons always appear. Almost all of the tray icon processes are shown to be running when I open my task manager.

#2: Unable to Install the New Windows Live Messenger for XP

This one bothers me a lot more. I'm completely unable to install the new MSN, or any other Windows Live software for that matter. I received the notice from my WLM that unless I installed the update I couldn't use it, so I tried to get the updated version, and it appeared as if everything installed perfectly, it was at 100%, but it rolled back all its progress and didn't update/install anything, and it said that it didn't because "the installation was canceled". I tried running it again, and when I saw it was rolling back again I canceled, but THEN it was nice enough to remove WLM from my computer entirely. Yeah. Thankfully, Mail and Photo Gallery are still here. But, no matter what I try, even using the installer from various sites (no crack or warez sites though, of course!) still ends with the same rollback and canceled installation result. I even disabled Sunbelt Personal Firewall and it still failed. I've managed to get by by using the really old Windows Messenger that thankfully I still have, though I'm getting rather tried of it, I'm sure I'm just a big security risk using it.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3. I'm hoping I can get some help with this. :)

Beautiful avatar by Plumbeck!

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Since we don't know exactly what you removed...nor do you...I suggest doing a repair install of XP.

I further suggest that not use any "registry cleaners" now or in the future on your system. I say this because they (typically) may remove/damage key system files.

I would also advise against downloading Microsoft files...from any website other than the MS site.

Louis

#3 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Well, the thing is, I was posting this here because I was hoping these issues could be resolved without requiring me to backup all of my important things and reinstall/repair install my system, because I don't really have anything that I can use for backup. If it can't be resolved without some sort of OS install then I'll probably learn to just live with it.

So, is there any possible way I can get past this issue without me doing some sort of OS install?

EDIT: What I meant by Disk Cleanup is the built-in utility that comes with the computer. I don't use it anymore besides to clean up some disk space from temporary files. I don't use registry cleaners anymore, besides CCleaner, and I always use the option to backup my registry before I clean anything, no matter how small.

Edited by Gunto, 05 March 2011 - 07:54 PM.

Bury me in honor; when I'm dead and hit the ground, a love back home, it unfolds...

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

i would start with system file checker .

go to start/run type in with out the quotes "sfc /scannow" not the space between c and /

sfc/Scannow: Scans all protected system files immediately and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. This command may require access to the Windows installation source files.

im thinking it might fix a corrupt system file that could be causing some of your problems ,good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thanks Caper, I ran the Windows File Checker. Looks like it completed just fine, nothing popped up. I'm assuming that means my system files are intact?

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:26 AM

The two issues that you have mentioned may be un-related. I would like to post some information that may help you with one of your problems.

Re: Item #1 ... the missing System Tray icons
Have a look at the following topic at Tech Support Forums and let us know if the description matches what is happening on your system.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-no-tray-icons-after-reboot-501804.html

If you think that it does seem to be the same issue then try the suggested resolution. Success?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,291 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

I preformed the actions in the thread and I am going to restart now. I'll edit my post with my results.

EDIT: I restarted, all my icons were present! I installed a few updates FileHippo Update Checker had for me and restarted again, and once again my icons are present! I believe that fixed my tray issue, thank you! :thumbsup:

Edited by Gunto, 06 March 2011 - 02:26 AM.

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

Windows Live Messenger 2011 This version of Messenger is for Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Maybe uninstall your current version of Live Messenger and download\install
Windows Live Messenger for Windows XP

Edited by TulsaRose, 06 March 2011 - 08:48 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#9 Gunto

Gunto

Bleepin' Reject Phoenix

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,291 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

I deleted the Messenger folder, and I tried to install the Windows Media Player plug-in, and it completed successfully but I still can't choose my language and download. I even restarted Firefox, and it still won't work. :(

EDIT: I used Safari to download the installer instead, and I most certainly got the XP one, same result, everything still rolls back.

Edited by Gunto, 06 March 2011 - 06:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users