Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Antivirus/spyware program dishonest with me?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 jb777

jb777

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

This is a copy from my original post in the Am I infected forum.

A few days ago my computer began to slow down terribly. I ran a scan with stopzilla which found nothing, but indicated I needed to update the software. When I did it found a number of Trojans including Kryptic & Patched. Stopzilla said it removed them but then my computer slowed down even more. I tried to run another scan last night and this morning but it could not complete a scan past 3%.
So I contacted Stopzilla (strangely there was not online tech support available and when I tried to email, my email was returned as undeliverable)
I called their support line and they called back with a tech from India. He then ran diagnostics on my computer (which was a bit unsettling to watch) and eventually said "Oh My God, Oh My God" and told me my computer was about to completely stop and eventually I would only see a black screen and that all of my files would be gone. He also says people have access to my passwords, email banking info etc.
He tells me no local tech or software could fix this problem only a Microsoft tech could which of course he said they had and he was going to set me up with a tech for the cost of 250.00. He tells me it is a lot cheaper than Best buy and so on. The call started to sound very suspicious so I ended the call and disconnected my computer (he had access to it)

I know these Trojan's can be bad news ... but is what the SZ tech was telling me correct?
Is my computer really going to stop and all of my files disappear?

I am super paranoid now and worried about getting online with the effected computer. I just went out an purchased Norton Internet Security 2011 (after reading PC world said it did good job with Malware)

Thanks,

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Please follow Orange Blossom's directions in your original topic here:

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

This will give us the information we need to answer your questions. We cannot be sure with just the information provided. Please do not post the same message everywhere on the forums. Once you provide the logs requested and post them in the proper forum we can better answer you. To avoid confusion for everyone I am closing this topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users