Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick PSU/voltages question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Whitewizard67676

Whitewizard67676

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

So I was playing fallout 3 smoothly and all the sudden i get 0.5 fps for about 20 seconds.. happens randomly afaik. So I open up HWiNFO sensors because I was just looking randomly for guilty things and I come across this, Is it normal? mainly the +3.3v. Forgive my complete ignorance regarding PSUs.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:13 PM

Well White not all of those programs are 100% accurate, they give you a guesstimate but not accurate reading.

A reading of 2.176 is not unusual with software related voltage reading programs.

The most accurate way to determine if those are accurate would be using a VOM meter, preferably a digital LCD read out type.

You would put the meter in the Amps reading, then put it parallel with the orange wire which is 3.3 volts positive (+)

Yellow is +12 Volts and red is +5 volts, black is ground, blue is -12 volts and white is -5 volts.

You could also set the meter to DC volts range in the 0-24 volt setting, touch the red probe to the orange wire on the plug end and the black probe to the black wire and see what you get for a reading on the meter.
This would be a lot more accurate of an reading then depending on a software read out.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

I hope Temperature 3 is a false reading. :)
196 Celsius = 384.8 Fahrenheit
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

I hope Temperature 3 is a false reading. :)
196 Celsius = 384.8 Fahrenheit

I believe you are correct tg1911.

If they replaced HWinfo32 with the speed fan program, those senors would probably give out a totally different reading or none at all.

Each motherboard has various senors installed in them, the program you use has to be geared up with properly working with those sensors.

In other words, if the program is poorly written in lets say C++ or Visual Basic scripting language, it can either present a reading to a sensor that does not exist, or exhibit an inaccurate reading on one that does.

A good program should display N/A or something along those lines indicating a sensor does not exist anywhere in the system.
However some poorly written programs offer a false read out instead. This reading can display an alarming output, one that is telling the user of the program they have a sensor that is displaying a temperature of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit. :blink:

If anything, get a second opinion, try using a different program and compare the out put readings.

Now back to the concerns of White, below are two other programs we often recommend here at BC, try those and compare the sensor out put readings.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Speed Fan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Whitewizard67676

Whitewizard67676
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Well than.. I'm not too sure what I'm looking at but it doesn't seem too similar.. I would take bruces advice but I have this odd thing where I break everything the first time trying, and I wouldn't wanna break this compy. I just wanna know if its safe to keep on. well.. it hasn't blown up yet, besides from that incident a few months back where the metal case shocked anyone who touched it with about half the force of one of those prank gumpacks, than the USB mouse suddenly turned into an 'unrecognizable USB device'
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Whitewizard67676

Whitewizard67676
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

Ahh, thank you for recommending speedfan MrBruce. I wondered why there was a picture of a flame next to the GPU temp and took a look in the case. needless to say I'm going to be coughing up dustballs for the next week.. yeah, about 3 solid mm of dust in the GPUs fan heatsink
Lock topic please ^-^

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:36 PM

You're welcome and good lock. :thumbup2:

We do not usually lock topics here at BC once they are solved.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users