Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE error can't use explorer to MS updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GKing

GKing

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

This all started it seems when this last MS update came about today and after it downloaded I clicked 'don't install' by mistake and have not been able to get back on the standard IE except aol's version. Even then many sites including the MS update site give me errors. I tried dl a new urlmon.dll file but that didn't help.
AppName: iexplore.exe
ModName: urlmon.dll
ModVer:8.0.6001.19019
AppVer:6.0.2900.2180
Offset:0002df6e

Exception Info:
Code: 0xc0000005 Flags:0x00000000
Record:0x0000000000000000 Adress: 0x000000007815df6e

System info: Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600
CPU Vendor Codes...and so on..... modules 1-48 and 1 thread come up.
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\1624_appcompat.txt (is error report file)
I really at this point am not sure what version ie im with in the non-aol mode!
Thx for any help... :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

hi, did/do you use the update icon in start allprogram to start the update, click on the link above
also try control panel/system/windows update and use that link

Edited by caperjac, 05 March 2011 - 08:25 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

An option depending on what version of IE you are running is to uninstall and re-install IE. You can go to the Add/remove programs menu and in there it will list the IE version you currently have (which should be 7 or 8)installed. Download the installer (for IE 8 preferably) from another computer to be safe and transfer it over to the affected PC. Then uninstall IE (which will basically just downgrade IE to IE 6). After a reboot install the up to date IE.

As a side note doing this will break many of the browser add-ons and program associations so after installing IE it is a good idea to go throught the basic needed additional software updates. They would be at a minimum Java, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Reader. If you use any toolbars (which IMO are a waste of space and the cause of many problems) or other browser add-ons they may need to be installed again or updated.

edit: you should also do a run of the windows update site to get the latest patches for IE after install.

Edited by Baltboy, 06 March 2011 - 11:40 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 GKing

GKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

:thumbup2: Thanks Caperjac and Blatboy for the info...that link must have helped Caperjac-seems last night when I went to turn off my pc there were some downloads, evidently four that took over, downloaded and closed shop. I'm not sure what they were exactly(prelude fix to a re-install/dl from ms?) since I was already off the desktop and only ms does this. This morning I got the first email link from you-tried it out of the aol browser and got through to MS updateland. Seems both the yellow shiels appeared in the tray area then the familiar light blue window of 'install IE 8 ' appeared and started running non-ie install but instead every from the updates (?) through ms malware tool to a quick IE 8 install-but went fast-and had to be a scan since I thought I already had ie8 installed???
Anyway, it all dl and I selected restart and boot twice off the F8
boot menu, checked with Belarc Advisor to audit everything, though I know it can be done in cmd, and everything seems to be up and running good so far-no hitches and I've been on the machine several hours today. :busy:
Glad I didn't have to do the excercise you brought-up Blatboy but thanks for the advise; I'll may need it someday.
Never seen an ie browser repaired this way before, hmmm ya think microsoft is going to greater lenghts to make it easier on users now?
I did send a boatload of error reports now that I think about it :lol:

#5 GKing

GKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

:whistle: OPPS...Correction, I'm meaning here:
Seems the yellow shield appeared in the tray area then the familiar light blue window of 'install IE 8 ' appeared and started running non-ie8 install downloads for the ie8 updates then jumping down a list in same 'blue' window to the ms malware tool, then to a quick IE 8 install-but went fast-and had to be a intact status scan since I thought I already had ie8 installed?

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:48 AM

go in to automatic updates and set it to download but let you choose when to install ,and when you get new updated you can then check what they are and then install them .
right click on mycomputer/go properties /and you should see automatic updates along the top
good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users