Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor turning off after an hourish and taking a long time to boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Meker

Meker

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hello BleepingComputer Community,

So, here is the skinny. Suddenly, my monitor started shutting off around an hour or so of logging in and activly using the computer. The tower doesn't make any sound, and there is no indication on the screen, just suddenly the monitor goes into its own sleep mode, like it hasn't seen an action in a few mins. If I reboot, the monitor comes back on but happens again.

At the same time, when I boot now, it takes a MUCH longer time. The most nocticable difference is between the Windows logo and the screen that has all the user accounts to log in. I am running XP home SP3 and McAfee for virus scanner and such. Please let me know your thoughts on what it might be. Thanks for the help.

And just an after thought, Iexplorer shows up twice now, for every instance i have opin in the Processes tab when i hit alt+ctrl delete.

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2011 - 11:33 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

First - Run chkdsk /r from Run Box -
This can take an hour or so if there are problems to be repaired -
This will check / repair any problem if it is from your HDD -

#3 Meker

Meker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

Ran the scan (it made me do it after a reboot) and nothing popped. Monitor still went into idle mode this morning.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Have you gone to the Control Panel and selected Power Options to check your monitor setting?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 Meker

Meker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

I have checked it but I haven't changed it before, or after the problem popped up. But if that was the problem then wiggling the mouse and using the computer should turn it back on right? As of right now, once the monitor is off, it only comes on once you reboot.

#6 Poophead :P

Poophead :P

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hi Meker - Try Control Panel>add&remove programs and see if you have two listings of IE. They could be fighting each other (remove all but the newest one). I'd also try downloading MalWare Bytes Antimalware and see if it finds anything. Ccleaner (another download) will clean all your cookies out, and the registry cleaner is the safest way I know to clean out incomplete registry entries or entries that point to nowhere (save the old file so you can go back to it if you have to). They're both free, and good. I use Avast antivirus, also free (notice a theme here?), and so far it has done a fine job of keeping junk off my system. If that doesn't work, I'm suspecting a hardware failure of some kind (thermal runaway, maybe in the power supply). Let me know how long it takes to boot up after you've let it sit for an hour to cool off. You'll need a voltmeter and get into the tower to check that. Good luck...

#7 Meker

Meker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Sorry its been a while since my last update. I do not have two instances of IE being installed in the add/remove software utility. Also, I replace the power supply and it didn't help. It seems like if I just use the internet my computer works fine. But if my wife tries to start certain games, or watch video on the internet, the screen does the shutoff thing. I am going to wipe the HD and reisntall windows tonight and I will let you know what happnes. On a side note, the boot problem cleared up so now it boots just as fast as ever.

Also, some suggested it might be the Motherboard. Any one think so? I also read it might be capacitors but all mine look fine as far as I can tell.

Edited by Meker, 11 March 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#8 Poophead :P

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:16 PM

Before you replace the motherboard, try using a different monitor(surely you can borrow one somewhere) and see if it does the same thing. Also, try using a different mouse(mine went bad) and see if you still get the two IE's...

#9 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

I do agree with above here, try switching to a different monitor , or borrowing someone elses monitor. Give that a try before you re-load everything on the computer.

Also just to ask :

What kind of computer and what Os are you running ?

Also what graphics card do you have inside? (have you ever changed it or still have stock )?

And of coarse what kind of monitor are yo using ?

To me it sounds like when ever you run a high video output (game,video,pictures) this happens. Like you say when a game is run. At first glance It seems to be an early video card problem (maybee over heating) .

Edited by BLUEFIRE0424, 14 March 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#10 Poophead :P

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Smart, Bluefire...I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense...

#11 Meker

Meker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

Alright so update. Still have the two Iexpolorer thing happening. But, I changed out the video card and no more problems. The video card was my first thought but when I started asking around, no one said video card. So main problem solved. As for the dual iexplorer. I did read somewhere that it might be ad/malware so i am going to dl some free scanners and check it out. While I am doing that, I will be asking for a mouse to borrow from a friend.

Thanks again you guys!

#12 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

Great glad you got it fixed.

As for the dual internet explorer thing.

My best suggestion would be to start a new post with a different heading and have the admins lock this one as the topic problem has been fixed.

You will probably get a better answer that way .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users