Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring mystery noise

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Swanheart

Swanheart

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:28 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Today I've noticed that my computer has been making a very strange noise. It's hard to describe...something like a buzzing sound, I guess, but it's not really buzzing. But it's been doing this at fairly regular intervals. It happens regardless of whether I'm running any programs or not. I first heard it when the screensaver was on, but it's been doing it regardless of any applications I run. The sound lasts 15-20 seconds and then goes away. The sound happens sometimes every few minutes or so. I haven't noticed anything wrong with my computer's performance. The only issue I have is the sound. I'm kind of at a loss because I've never encountered something like this before.

I turned my computer off and let it sit for a few hours, but when I started it up it continued making the sound. I wonder if it has something to do with the fan or power supply.

I'm using Windows XP professional.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Before we can offer a possibility, I have to ask you exactly where this sound is coming from?

You did not specify if this is a laptop or desktop computer.

Is this sound coming from inside the computer case?

Is it coming from the speakers?

Do you still hear this sound if the speakers are disconnected from the sound card jack?

What we are trying to figure out here is if your problem is electrical or mechanical in nature.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Sorry.

I'm on a desktop. It's coming from inside the tower, definitely. Not the speakers.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

You have two possibilities here.

Number 1. is you have a cooling fan that is hitting against a dust clog.

Number 2. your hard drive is making this noise.

The only way to determine which one it is, is to open up the computer case for a visual inspection.

First thing you want to check for is dust built up in any of the cooling fans.

Try to locate the source of the noise when it happens, before you touch anything inside the case, be sure to keep one hand on the computer case, this prevents the possibility of static electricity from damaging any components inside the computer case.

If you are having a hard time locating the noise, try using a long handled wooden spoon and try to press it against the hard drive casing and the other end at your ear opening, the sound will travel through the spoon quite loudly if it is the hard drive.
You can use a plastic spoon as well, but DO NOT use a metal object of any kind!

If your have a cooling fan or dust issue, you will need to perform a cleaning of your computer.
I do not want to post instructions needlessly, so please post back your findings and if you need instructions for properly cleaning out a computer case, I will provide that information.

If your hard drive is making that noise, we should run a hard drive diagnostic program on your hard drive to determine the drives health.

I would need to know who the hard drive manufacturer is before I can recommend the correct disk diagnostic program for you to run.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 March 2011 - 03:15 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

I opened it and it sounds like its coming from the fan. It is kind of dusty inside, so there may be a clog. I would appreciate any cleaning tips. Thanks!

#6 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

for cleaning your heat sink and other components the recommended way is canned compressed air, you can buy it at any local computer store give it a good cleaning. Be sure to turn of the pc and ground yourself or keep one hand on something like the power supply to avoid static. try to do it off of carpeted surfaces.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

Here is a link to a Bleepingcomputer tutorial that explains the proper procedures and tools needed to clean a desktop computer out for dust issues.

Hope you find this to be of some help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Bruce.

#8 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

I've cleaned out the inside, but I'm still hearing the noise. It hasn't happened as often, but I'm still hearing it. Four times since I turned my system back on, and the time between noises seems to be increasing. I wonder if this means it may be a hard drive issue. I'm not sure where to look for the manufacturer. (In the Device Manager, under disk drives, it said Hitachi, if this is it.)

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

To be more accurate with your hard drive's manufacturer, I recommend you follow the instructions below, this procedure will allow you to present us with a snapshot of your system and its hardware.

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed
  • Speccy - First, you will need a program called Speccy. According to Piriform: "Speccy is an advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.

Instructions
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Once you have done this, we will know exactly what we are working with. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 March 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#10 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:12 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7CRgKZ1vcHtBXYOQNfECNF3

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

Diagnostic tool

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

This looks a little over my head, but I'm trying to figure it out. I downloaded the "CD image" option, as the other sounded like it used 3.5" floppy disks, and I don't have those or a drive for them.

I'm going to try this and see if I can make it work.

#13 Swanheart

Swanheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

I think I did everything right, but the diagnostic tool wouldn't run. An "Internal Hardware Monitor" showed up on the screen, but it didn't do anything.

I have Nero for my writing software, and I had the option to make a bootable CD, so I picked this when I wrote the file onto a CD. It burned successfully. But I didn't get the tool or any of the screens the instructions in the link showed. I'm not sure if I did anything wrong, as I followed the instructions.

I did notice that I heard the sound immediately when my computer booted up, after I took out the CD and started it up normally.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

I downloaded the "CD image" option

This is the one you need, just boot to this disk.

Make sure your cd/dvd drive is the first boot option under the BOOT menu of your BIOS setup utility.

Hit enter if you see the words hit enter to boot from cd or dvd disk and let the program instruct you on what to do next.

Bruce.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

I have Nero for my writing software, and I had the option to make a bootable CD.

Nero burning ROM is the option you would have used from the Nero program, I have Nero 9.4.44

Once you choose Nero burning ROM choose RECORDER then IMAGE, choose the .ISO file and click burn.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users