Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive won't partition/clone

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

This is a HDD that I'm using as an external, but I thought it would qualify as internal hardware. Please let me know if I've posted in the wrong forum.

I have an IDE Seagate, either 72 or 80 GB. I was trying to clone my main drive to it. When trying to do so (my main HDD has several partitions), so many errors happened that I can't even remember them. Now my external (F: drive) doesn't show up in "My Computer." I use XP Home SP3. In the rare event that it does show up, and on one of my cloning programs (I have three), it shows the HDD only being about 10GB big, and that space is unallocated. But one of my programs showed another 60-odd GB as having data on it. Again, so many things have happened that I can't describe it accurately.

Have I rendered a partition useless, have I wiped out sectors, have I ... probably done WHAT to the HDD, or is it simply bad? I had no reason to think that it has conked out, but anything is possible.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Update: on this particular reboot -- this info changes moment by moment -- the HDD in question IS showing up in My Computer alongside the C: drive. But it's showing up as G:, not F:. And it's showing up when I mouse over the icon as 10.5 GB. When I click on Properties, it shows up as 78.5 MB (MB, not GB) used, and still 10.5 capacity. It IS either a 72 or 80 GB drive. When I double click the icon, it's absolutely blank. What the ... ?!?

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

What cloning programs are you using and are you getting the same results with each of those programs?

I personally have not cloned a hard drive that already had multiple partitions on it before, but I know that in order for the drive to be successfully cloned and functional, the partition tables have to be reflected properly in the MBR.

Having other hardware installed such as optical drives or memory card readers can change the drive letter sequence around.

Again what cloning software are you using?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

I started with Partition Wizard Home, then tried MaxBlast. My latest excursion was EASEUS Todo. I honestly don't remember which program gave me which info, because I've tried SO many times.

I downloaded the SeaTools program to see if that will get the entire capacity of the drive to show up. I'll get back with you on that, and on which cloning/partitioning program tells me what.

Thanks a lot.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

I would have suggested seatools had I known you had a Maxtor hard drive.

Please keep us posted.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

I'm sorry, I mentioned having a Seagate in my original post, before I realized they had bought Maxtor. I'm so sleepy and frazzled, I don't know what I'm doing or saying. I'll let you know what SeaTools says, should have done that before posting. Thanks again.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

Certainly not a problem, I am often guilty of providing information to a thread before my first cup of coffee in the morning, thank goodness for IE spell check! :busy: I usually need two to wake up! :wacko:

I hope you have success! :thumbup2:

Bruce.

#8 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

I took a nap while it was running the long generic test. :wink: I feel better, but my HDD is still just as goofy. It passed the test, so I'm glad it's probably physically OK, but ... ? Maybe I'll work on deleting the partitions on my source drive, and then try to clone it, IF any software shows the external HDD as existing.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

Please keep us updated. :thumbup2:

If you continue having problems we'll try to walk you through it.

If you have success, I would appreciate you coming back and letting us know this and what you did to resolve the issue.

Bruce.

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

What size drive are you trying to clone ? Cloned drive must be same size or larger. Also should be zeroed in my opinion. If partitions on main drive have different file systems (NTFS, FAT, Ext3) you may run into issues.

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

What size drive are you trying to clone ? Cloned drive must be same size or larger. Also should be zeroed in my opinion. If partitions on main drive have different file systems (NTFS, FAT, Ext3) you may run into issues.

off topic , whats a caperdog .lol The Dutch one of my favorites

Edited by caperjac, 06 March 2011 - 03:13 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

more off topic: just another dog from CB jac. see ya at the blues fest.

#13 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

Yes, they were the appropriate sizes. I don't remember exactly what, I've been through so many hard drives these past few days, but there was no problem with the sizes.

To thicken the plot, the drive which I wanted to clone is now doing the exact same thing -- not showing up as existing as the F: external drive, and when it does using one recovery program (EASEUS Todo), it shows up just as 10 or so GB of unallocated space. Another program and how I used it went terribly wrong, and the two partitions containing Linux got deleted. I need to recover them so that I can try to change the MBR to delete Linux properly ... I'm digging myself a deeper hole all the time. :(

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have a program that I have used in the past that helped me with partition issues.

I am going to provide you with a link to the web site where the download is available.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

This link is to the Gparted web site, it explains how to use the program.

http://gparted.org/

Hope you find this to be a usefull program.

Bruce.

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

is this the drive you installed mint on ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users