Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mike1944

mike1944

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

I have a IBook g4 that is need of a hard drive.i have called a few places for prices.I am told the harddrive will be blank and there will bean extra charge to install some programs.I have the 2 original install discs will these have the original programs on them?

Thanks
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

Who supplied the disks? What does your user manual say?

I'm moving this to the Mac forum :).

Louis

#3 mike1944

mike1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

The discs came with the laptop

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Simple answer yes the discs will contain the operating system (old though will need an upgrade disc) and the original ilife products I believe. You will need to buy a leopard retail disc to upgrade it to leopard though.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 mike1944

mike1944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

thank you

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

Your welcome! :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

I doubt you'll be able to get a retail version of Leopard, and Snow Cat doesn't work on Power PCs. But good luck with that.

On the other hand, and please correct me is I misinterpreted your question. You have an iBook with a hard disc that needs replaced. You can get someone to replace the disc, but it will be a blank (in other words no OS etc.). You have the discs so you can always install Tiger(??) on it yourself. If the computer does boot try and see if the laptop starts up with the disc inserted. See if you can install it in the first place.
Posted Image

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

The original discs are 10.3 so that would be jaguar I believe.
sigcomp.png 

#9 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,423 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:56 AM

10.3 is Jaguar. Where did you get he was using 10.3? I didn't see that :lol:
Posted Image

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

i have an ibook G4 the same as his with the original discs that came with it and they are 10.3 discs.
sigcomp.png 

#11 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,423 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

Ah :) Thanks.

I myself am on Snow Kitty, probably not going to Lion as I think I will need a new computer for that. But we'll see...
Posted Image

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

haha yeah i cannot wait to see the system requirements for lion but i dont know if i will switch either as it seems kind of the same as snow leopard design wise but the features seem kinda pointless but idk... :)
sigcomp.png 

#13 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:47 AM

http://www.google.com/search?q=restoring+laptop+site%3Aapple.com
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#14 alexsm

alexsm

• Banned Spammer
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:36 AM

(http://www.google.com/search?q=restoring+laptop+site%3Aapple.com ) Nice share, we want more of these!!..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users