Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stealth software that checking installations????

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hello everyone :) i really hope that someone has this kinda application somewhere

Basically i just want a "SMALL" application like Unlocker on 800kb that layes in the background tray and checks if a certain Installer wants
to put files in specific folders and give the opportuinty to choose yes/no with a description of the files, names etc

So that you know what files going into the system folder and so on :)

Really thanks on forehand, il hope someone of you all got something like this :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

There are several types of programs available which can monitor the installation of files, folders, modifications to the registry, etc. Some are more specific than others...some provide additional security protection so it depends on what you are looking for and how comprehensive you want the monitoring to be. However, not all of them are small.

• Spyware Terminator monitors attempts to add or modify installed applications, programs that run at startup, programs that add to Windows services and other security monitoring features.
  • WinPatrol is a tool that alerts you to changes in programs that run at startup, monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.

Edited by quietman7, 05 March 2011 - 09:09 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

Since you have posted in the Security Section of the Board then I will assume you are looking for a HIPS = Host-based Intervention Prevention System.

These are very good style of protection program but not always very User friendly.

They are based on the behavior of a program\it`s install routine as opposed to signature based.

A couple caveats with this type of program. They will warn about legit programs as well as malicious. Meaning a wrong answer will allow a malicious file to install\run as well as blocking a legitimate from not installing\running.
I do not know of any that track\log the complete install and help in the uninstall.

Hopefully someone else may.

Was posting at the same time as Quietman7 was.

Edited by ThunderZ, 05 March 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#4 Pajajn

Pajajn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:05 AM

Thanks alot! i use WatchForFolder Monitors and thinks it working great , saved a ini with the folders i want to control and having
"change file" "change folder" on Windows folder watched if any sys files changing or so :D

thanks alot guys

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users