Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro hangs at 34 min when doing a fresh install. 34 min hiccup?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 imazephed

imazephed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hey guys, I have a satalite mx35 s149 that the hard drive starting to fail on so I bought a new drive and tried to use the system recovery dvd that came with the machine to install a fresh os on. That dvd runs through and reboots then hangs on the xp start up screen with the message please wait(I let it sit for many hours even overnight). So I tried to put xp pro on it and it gets to 34 min left and hangs. I did do some research and found that there seems to be a problem with the 34 min hiccup. I tried to follow the instructions that I found but couldn't quite understand how to do what I was being told to do. Eventually after rebooting many many times it goes through and restarts and says its complete but when it boots it hangs after a few minuets and I have to boot into safe mode with networking. Maybe someone here can tell me if I am even experiencing this 34 min hiccup. I can use the machine in safe mode non stop with no problems. I swapped memory and still the same.I am not the a pc expert but am somewhat competent with a pc, at least I can usually follow someones instructions in order to repair one. Thanks -Jason

Edited by hamluis, 15 March 2011 - 10:27 AM.
Moved to Internal Hardware from XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

I would try booting into safe mode...then running the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot.

The command will try to execute before booting into XP.

The 34 min hiccup is common, I have experienced it...I think it has many causes but they all (IMO) relate to the disk used, the hard drive, and the ability to read/install files. I don't have any systems using recovery/restore disks so I have no experience with trying to install Windows from such.

Louis

#3 imazephed

imazephed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:53 PM

Louis

I did as you said and chkdsk would not complete. It gets to stage 5 verifying free space and stays at 0%. I let it sit there for 3 hours. I did run hdtune pro and the drive test fine no bad sectors. I just bought this drive to replace the stock one that was failing. The thing that is strange is the machine runs perfect in safe mode. I am using xp pro as the os and not the recovery disc that came with it. When trying the recovery disc that came with the machine it locks up on the xp splash screen after completing instillation with the message please wait and never changes. Thats when I tried to install xp pro. It will go through instillation up till 34 min left and then freezes or reboots. After rebooting over a dozen times it completed and then boots to the os. It then freezes after a few minutes and I have to reboot to safe mode. I dont think there is a problem with any hardware but could be wrong. The only thing in my device manager that has a question mark is the modem. I looked in the bios to see if I could disable anything and there are no options to do so. Thanks for any help.-Jason

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

Just my impressions...

A failing hard drive...replaced by a drive where chkdsk cannot complete...would make me think that the first drive may have had no problems.

Primary possible candidates for seeming hardware problems are the CMOS battery, the PSU, the motherboard.

While I like HD Tune...I prefer running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...on any drive where I suspect a problem.

I mentally considered a damaged file system for your current problem with chkdsk...until I read that you had previously determine that you needed a replacement hard drive.

<<When trying the recovery disc that came with the machine it locks up on the xp splash screen after completing instillation with the message please wait and never changes.>>

I've had that happen...I think that deleting the partition and trying again (I have MS XP CDs, no recovery/restore disks) solved it.

I would replace the CMOS battery first because it's the cheapest, easiest suspect to remove from contention. Then I would run the appropriate disk diagnostic on the hard drive (long test, not short).

If the file system is scrambled...I don't know what you can do...I don't know if your disks just reuse the same partition or actually delete it and create a new one. I suspect that it just uses the existing structure.

Your comment about the system running fine in safe mode...makes no sense for the symptoms you reported. Drivers have no impact on chkdsk when it's at Stage 5 (doing the free space confirmation). At that point of a chkdsk...the only factors are the drive and the file system, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 March 2011 - 06:51 AM.

#5 imazephed

imazephed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Louis

Thanks for taking the time to help. The original drive that I replaced was a Toshiba. I checked and could not find any Toshiba hard disk utility. I used hdtune to diagnose the drive as bad as well as western digitals hd utility. They both found many problems on the drive. I will post a few screen shots from hd tune below. I feel confident that the drive was indeed failing.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gosh I hate to think of taking apart this machine to change the cmos battery. Dont they warn you when the battery starts to fail? Its over five years old so the battery should be about done by now. I never thought of that. Can that cause the os not to load properly?

I would think if the motherboard were failing it would also give me problems in safe mode? It has been rock solid in safe mode.

I have read a lot about this particular model having problems with the dc plug but this machine exhibits none of the issues that indicate that. It has also sat in the same place plugged in for 90% of its life just sitting never being used. Until about 3 months ago this machine was used less then 20 hours.

I thought for sure that a new drive would be the fix...Now I feel like and idiot. I could have put that $90 towards a new %399 laptop.

I dont know much about how the file system works but it seems that a new drive would have fixed that if it were indeed bad on the old one.

It really has me thinking its a software problem by the way it runs in safe mode without a hiccup.

I just dont know if I want to spend any more money buying a cmos battery $20 and not know if its going to fix the problem. I wonder if windows vista or 7 would install without giving me this problem.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

if you replaced the drive yourself check to ensure it is pushed in all the way to the data connections. make sure there is no dust or dirt in there messing up the contacts.
also.. what does HDtune say about your new drive ?

Edited by caperdog, 06 March 2011 - 05:22 PM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

I just dont know if I want to spend any more money buying a cmos battery $20.....

Not sure you are thinking of the right battery. A CMOS battery is about the size of a quarter.

Posted Image

Normally around $5+\- U.S. depending on brand and where you shop.

Edited by ThunderZ, 06 March 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#8 imazephed

imazephed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for all the input. The drive is seated properly caperdog and hdtune checks it out fine no problems whatsoever.

Thunderz I haven't taken the case apart yet but from what I searched on the net it looks like this laptop has some kind of heat shrinked battery with a wire connector. I dont think its the same as what you posted. I dont know for sure I was hoping to not have to disassemble the case, but will if I it is a distinct possibility that the battery is what is causing xp pro from installing?

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

I know the kind of battery you are talking about.

It is the same but they modified it. The ran a two pin connector from it to plug into the board.

Do`t know why they did that other then to force you to go to them to buy a new one.

#10 imazephed

imazephed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

Mods you can move this. It seems that I have a hardware problem. After doing a lot of research I have found that I more than likely have a problem with my board. It seems that the solder on the power distribution chip made by maxim is what causes these mx35 series laptops to develop this problem. Now it has progressed to the point where it takes 20 min just to boot (it will act like its dead lights come on but nothing else). I am going to try this fix http://imateski.blogspot.com/2009/01/rhos-is-guilty-for-toshiba-m35x-and-hp.html (there is a few pictures linked from this page I am not going to pay this guy for his manual)from what I gather I am going to have to pull the board out and heat the maxim chip enough to make the solder re flow. The idea of doing this is a bit scary but its better than throwing away a otherwise good laptop. If anyone has had any dealings with this or done a hot air gun re-flow solder job feel free to offer advice. Thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users