Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp not booting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tele52

tele52

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:08 AM

Can anybody help me with the following problem?
My Dell system runs windows xp home and I have a canon mp150 printer. Everything was working fine until I printed a document from a website. Cmputer still working fine until the next day when I clicked on the desktop icon to launch MP navigator. Computer locked and the only way to get out of it was to disconnect the power. I left it a few minutes, restarted the computer but couldn't get past the wallpaper screen (i.e. no icons or taskbar)
Once again had to disconnect the power, restarted in safe mode carried out spyware & virus checks which were all OK then a system restore and finally deleted the Canon drivers etc...
This hasn't made a difference - I still can't get windows to start.
Any help will be much appreciated.
p.s Windows came pre-installed without a disc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

The computer starts...if you can enter safe mode :). You just cannot boot into normal mode.

System manufacturer and model?

Any error messages onscreen during this episode?

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

My initial guess is that your Canon software is damaged or damaged key system files. Since you can boot into safe mode, the drivers may be damaged, preventing a normal boot. I would go into safe mode and see if I could uninstall...all Canon software and the printer. Then I would try a normal boot.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#3 tele52

tele52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hi Louis
Thanks for your reply.
I am unable to get into safe mode with networking and access denied on this other computer I'm now using for blue screen view!
I've tried last good config, uninstalled canon drivers & software, unfortunately still no change.
Any other thoughts?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

I would try initiating chkdsk /r from safe mode.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot the system...the command will run, then try to boot into Windows.

Louis

#5 tele52

tele52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Thanks
just tried that & still the same!

#6 tele52

tele52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:33 AM

After trying all the suggestions and not having any luck I finally had to take it to the local computer tech.

He was able to restore everything after removing an embedded virus that my Avast AV hadn't picked up. So after a change of AV all seems to be working well.

Many thanks all for you help and suggestions

Edited by tele52, 16 March 2011 - 05:34 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for posting back with the resolution and the cause of the problems...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users