Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't recognize my hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ragin Asain 22

Ragin Asain 22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:43 AM

Hi I am building a computer fort the first time and I am having trouble getting Windows 7 to recognize my hard drive. My har drive and mother board are as follows:

Hard drive-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive,
Mother Board-GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

So when I go to install windows 7 I eventually get to a screen where it ask for an install location, unfortunately it doesnít seem to recognize my hard drive. It gives me an option of installing driver so I went to the gigabyte website and downloaded the drivers that it said I required. I believe there was an ACHI driver and a Raid driver. After I stalled both of these drivers the hard drive still was not detected. One strange thing I noticed was that when I browse for a driver my hard drive is listed as a place I can search. I then proceeded to the Bios to try and match the drivers.
The hard drive is detected in the Bio. When the HD is set to IDE my BluRay play is able to read the windows install disc. But windows wonít recognize my HD. If I set it to ACHI or Raid I canít seem to get the windows CD to load. Do I need an IDE driver?
Out of frustration I tried installing a windows XP to see if it would be able to recognize my hard drive. It seemed to load on the hard drive fine but entered this weird loop where windows would install itself but wouldnít actually load as the operating system. In other words when I try to restart my computer and run the OS off of my hard drive it gave me an error message. Something like (windows OS could not be located) When I went to go install windows 7 again my hard drive still was not detected as a place to intall windows but when I search the hard drive (as if I was searching for a driver) I can see the Windows files that were loaded from when I tried to install XP.
Iím not really sure what to do at this point. I canít seem to find the right drivers for my computer and I also canít seem to change the setting of my HD to Raid or ACHI. Can someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:29 AM

Your HDD needs to be formatted to NTFS in order for Windows 7 to recognize it. This option to Format is available in the installation Menu. Please read this tutorial and see if you are able to format your HDD during the installation.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52291-partition-hard-drive-windows-7-install.html

#3 Ragin Asain 22

Ragin Asain 22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the reply
I tried to install again but since windows doesn't see it as a hard drive that it can install windows to the option to format the drive isn't available. My only option is to "load drivers" My roommate formatted the my hard drive on his computer (he was running windows vista) and we put it back into my computer and windows still wasn't allowing me to install windows on it. I'm not sure if it was NTFS or not.
Why was I able to install windows xp on it but not actually be able to run windows off the hard drive afterwards?

#4 Ragin Asain 22

Ragin Asain 22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Would buying a different harddrive work?

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Try using a different SATA port. I notice that your motherboard has several 6 GB/s SATA ports and two 3 GB/s SATA ports. The Barracuda drive is a 3 GB/s drive and this might be an issue during installation.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

<<The hard drive is detected in the Bio. When the HD is set to IDE my BluRay play is able to read the windows install disc. But windows wonít recognize my HD. If I set it to ACHI or Raid I canít seem to get the windows CD to load. Do I need an IDE driver?>>

Strangely enough...it appears that you must load drivers, see http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3423#driver .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users