Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a mailing with Outlook 2007 from Excell 2007

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:43 AM

Hi all. I have being going round in circles rying to make a mass mailing ( via email). I have a excell data sheet with company names, person names and email adresses
and I want to send out with personally adressed to emails to approx 500 people. I have been tetsing it all week and so far i can not get 1 single adressee on an email

The opnly thing which helps is copying and pasting the adresses in the BCC field which i dom not like. Any suggestions? :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Theonus

Theonus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

Hello Fozzie,

I have some code which will do this with a little bit of tweaking. Can you give an idea on the layout of the information you have so I can write some code for you? Assuming you still have the issue of course.

Also there is one thing I can think of which could be an issue, when you use code to send email via Outlook there's security features which flag up the fact that Excel is trying to use Outlook to send an email and you have to click "Yes" before it sends it. This might flag up for each email the VBA tries to send when it's looping through the 500 names which may defeat the object for you.

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

If you haven't already tried this,go to this Office \ Outlook page and read the topics for setting up a "distribution list". Then you would be able to send an email from (the mail program) just once to the "group" address with the Excel file "attached".

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 Theonus

Theonus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

I think the issue with the distribution list method is he wants to make each email personal to the recipient, using their company name / personal information - like a mail merge only with email. This can be done easily with code in Excel however it will likely mean clicking through each security flag in Outlook.

#5 AdamV

AdamV

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

So you have been "going round in circles". Care to share what you have tried so far, and when it fails?
The missing link here might be that all mail merge functionality is basically contained in Word, so in Word 2007 go to the Mailings ribbon, choose Start mail merge > Email messages and go from there to use your excel file as your source data, include merge fields as needed, and finally send you messages.
Suggestion: do a dummy run with a couple of "safe" email addresses you own first - using gmail or hotmail for these can also be helpful to see if your email is likely to get through people's spam filters.
Due to global warming, eskimos now have more than 20 words for water John O'Farrell

Professional geek, consultant and trainer.
MCT, MCSA, MMI, MBMSS, CWNA, COS (I like to have lettuce after my name)
My personal blog - Getting IT right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users