Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applications Crash Upon Paste

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 steamenergy

steamenergy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

Hello everyone. I have been dealing with a very annoying problem with our family computer for several months now. I am running Windows XP Home SP3 Version 2002 on a Dell Dimension 8400 Pentium 4 CPU 3.2 GHz, 3 GB ram.

Firefox crashes at times, when browsing certain websites, oftentimes when I am typing in yahoo mail. The browser either just hangs with an hourglass or crashes by disappearing.

Sometimes when yahoo mail is loading, there is a flash plugin crash notification, sometimes the browser just crashes. However the crashes occur in Firefox safe mode as well (with the plugins disabled). Also we commonly have crashes when we paste text (to MS Word or a web browser) after a copy command, but not always. I have similar problems with IE. We have Net Nanny installed but we have disabled it and the crashes happen just the same. I tried flashing (upgrading) the BIOS from the Dell support site to A09. I have scanned with Macafee Internet Security Suite as provided by Verizon, have scanned with Trend Micro free scan, as well as Norton PC Checkup. No Malware found. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. I have defragmented the boot disk. Other profiles on the computer exhibit similar behavior.

At times we get an incomplete boot and the computer hangs with a non-functioning desktop – I can see the desktop icons, but there's no cursor and no control – have to power down. Sometimes the computer hangs prior to the "windows is starting up" XP screen. These boot hangs are only occasional.

Other than these problems, the computer is very functional. The issues however are very frustrating as the crashes are fairly unpredictable. MW Word and Outlook express appear to be unaffected other than during the paste activity from IE or Firefox.

I have posted scans per instructions provided here for DDS. I have tried running GMER but the computer hangs each time. I have also tried running in safe mode to no avail. I can run Hijackthis and can post the log if interested.

I would greatly appreciate any help you might be able to provide. Interestingly enough, I was able to copy/ paste from MS Word into this forum box! But when I try to copy/ paste from the DDS.txt file Firefox crashes. I'm having to post from a different computer to provide the DDS.txt file.

Thank you in advance.

Steamenergy

Update 4-Mar-11: The text above is copied from the Malware forum. I have run a full discussion there for a week and it's been determined this is not a malware issue. I am reposting here upon advice from Gringo. If you wish, you can see my other posting there to understand the entire process I've been through so far. I've noticed recently that it seems like smaller pastes are ok, but larger ones cause the crashing.

I know I can probably reinstall XP, but was wondering if there are any fixes or tests to determine what might be faulty in the OS. I have run the Dell hardware diagnostics tests (F12 at boot), and all checks out ok.

New DDS.txt file follows (just run tonight – I had to post from another computer due to crash upon paste issue!) :blink:

Log removed as these are used only in malware removal. Since Gringo in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic380825.html has referred you to the XP forum, I'm moving the topic back to the XP forum. ~ Orange Blossom

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 March 2011 - 07:13 PM.
Moved from XP to Malware Removal Logs. ~ hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users