Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to uninstall Mint 7?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

OK, total Linux moron here ...

I recently installed Mint 7, and I'm having a lot of problems with it, created by myself, of course. I don't even know where or how to begin. So I'd like to uninstall it for now, and start over at some point.

I installed it from a CD to run on my HDD in "swap mode" with XP Home SP3. Since I don't know how to uninstall it using the CD, is it OK to uninstall it from XP using Add/Remove Programs?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

Swap Mode? What is that, and is it anything like Wubi for Ubuntu?

#3 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

I'm not sure what that is. I know absolutely nothing about Linux. Just my terminology for saying it created a couple of swap partitions on the HDD on which I also have XP.

I just want to get Linux gone for now, while preserving XP on this HDD, and then start over sometime. Thanks.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

You can reformat the partitions from Computer Management in Control Panel > Administrative Tools and Disk Management.

Then if you have a Windows XP Install CD boot to it, and then go into the recovery console and type in fixmbr in the big black box.

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

I don't have an XP CD. I got this computer from a friend who had lost it. All I have for XP is a bootable CD I made with Maxblast.

I'm not so concerned about the partitions really. I just want Linux off the drive.

#6 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

If you don't have a Win XP install CD - Can you borrow one from someone ?
To do fixmbr from the recovery console any Win XP install CD should work .

Edited by Ramchu, 05 March 2011 - 07:08 AM.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:01 AM

Download EasyBCD
In EasyBCD, select Bootloader -> Install Windows XP bootloader to MBR. Then click Write MBR.

#8 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:33 AM

Many thanks, both of you. I can borrow an XP CD, yes. I'm glad to know that any will work. If I can't catch up with a friend with a disc soon, I may try that software. Thanks for the link.

But just to get Linux off my machine, if I don't care about leaving the extra partitions on the HDD, can I use add/remove programs in Win XP? Linux_Mint_Main is listed there. Could I do that until I get or make a CD? Or should I avoid that at all costs?

Thanks for bearing with this Mint Moron!

Edited by floridaze, 05 March 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Can you describe the steps taken to install Linux on your machine?

#10 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Sure. Sorry about that.

I installed it from a CD which somebody gave to me, having downloaded it onto the CD. Without seeing the options in front of me and having the exact terminologies, let me describe it as best I remember.

I installed it onto my HDD to have my choice of booting either in Mint or in XP. When the computer boots, the Mint screen starts and asks me which I want to use -- Gloria kernel something, Gloria recovery mode, or XP. When I choose XP, it then goes to a DOS screen asking me again if I want to use XP or Linux Mint Main.

I hope that describes it well enough. I'm so clueless about Linux that you'll have to tell me exactly what you need to know in a very dumbed-down way. Thanks a lot.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

You will need to reformat the partitions with Linux on it, and then use the Windows XP CD or the aforementioned using the EasyBCD CD to fix the mbr.

Edited by cryptodan, 05 March 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#12 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

OK. Do I just wipe the partitions with Linux on them and unallocate them, or do I make them logical, or merge them with my main C: partition, or ... ?

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

Not sure, but, I think floridaze has Mint installed on the drive and in Windows XP. Otherwise, why the drive partitions and in Add/ Remove?

Is there another explanation?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

to merge the partitions you would have to perform a. reformat.

On the C:\ Do you see a folder called Linux Mint?

#15 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

Yes Buddy, I'm pretty sure that's how I installed it. Thanks for the reminder/clarification. I'm bleary-brained from working on this the last few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users