Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will not print

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mcgaughy

mcgaughy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

I have been through all the steps recommended by HP, including uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software several times. Printer is shown as the default printer, it says "ready", I tried "services.msc" and restarted the print spooler. Can anyone help me think of anything else?

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2011 - 09:12 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mcgaughy

mcgaughy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

sorry it's a 6310 All in One

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

What happens when you bring up the Solutions Center and try to scan a document?

#4 mcgaughy

mcgaughy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

Haven't tried to scan. I am trying to help a friend by phone and remote and she was only interested in using the printer to print so we didn't try the scanner yet. If you think it will help I can get her to try to scan. This happened to her computer a couple of weeks ago and I was able to get the printer to work again but foolishly did not keep notes on what I did and I had tried so many things I do not remember how I fixed it and cannot find the article I found online that helped me fix it before.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Unfortunately, this seems to be a problem with other HP models also. For some reason, it refuses to print.

This may not help, and is NOT the ideal solution, but it is something to try.

Have your friend set up something to print. If it won't print, tell her to either log off or restart, then go to her desktop.

MAYBE once back on the desktop it will print.

I know this sounds odd. I had an HP all in one, and one evening I needed to print some important documents my son sent to me via email. No matter what I did they would not print. After uninstalling everything HP and reinstalling, I gave up and went on to other things. Something I did required a reboot. After the reboot I got on my desktop, and the printer started working and I finally got my documents printed.

I never did figure out why the printer would sometimes print immediately or other times only when logging off or restarting. When my HP printer finally died, I was a happy person. I promptly replaced it with a Canon and have had no problems since then.

#6 mcgaughy

mcgaughy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

That happened to her once, she left and came back a couple hours later and it had printed the document, but it doesn't even do that now. I too have had problems with some of the HP Printers, have an all in one that the computer seems to just "lose" ever so often and it will not scan or do anything and have to reinstall and works fine. Have a little HP Network Laser Printer that is the easiest to install and use that I've ever seen. I found an article that talks about going into the print spooler services and changing the dependencies so I will try that this morning and will post if that works. Thanks for your suggestion!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

I would try it on another system, using downloaded drivers/software.

If same problem...it's the printer.

Then, I would probably write the printer off...but you could initiate a thread in BC External Hardware Forum and see if there's anything less drastic that could be done.

Louis

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

With my HP all in one, I used the cd install disk that came with it. I downloaded drivers and software and installed it. The issue persisted.

I did not try it on the other computer because it had the exact same printer model hooked up to it. While that printer is not used very much it also has the same issue at times.

#9 mcgaughy

mcgaughy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

The printer had been working fine on this computer so I'm hoping the printer is okay. Will check the external hardware forum for other info though thanks!

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Will check the external hardware forum for other info though thanks!

Have a look at this post. Similar problem that the Member was able to solve after doing all the normal trouble shooting, and then some.

#11 mcgaughy

mcgaughy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

Thanks will try that too. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me :)

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Please keep us posted.

Knowing the out come is always appreciated. Especially if you find a solution and take the time to post it.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

I once had to reformat my computer due to corrupted registry entries related to HP Printer Software that would not remove. It to involved a 6310 All In One.

#14 mcgaughy

mcgaughy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:04 PM

I will post the results as soon as I can get back in to her computer. She is away from home right now so it may be tomorrow but I will let you all know if I can get it fixed. Thanks again!

#15 mcgaughy

mcgaughy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

I am sorry to report that none of the suggestions worked. I also tried a registry fix that I found which said to go in and change the spooler settings but that did not work either. Will call HP tomorrow I guess and see if anyone there can help. Thanks to all who answered and I will post again when I find a solution :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users