Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping Programs From Starting With Windows

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fredg

fredg

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:30 AM

I have windows XP on my computer. I've loaded a lot of programs on my computer that either have a quick launch icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen or open when windows is started. It seems to bog my computer down. How can I fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:58 AM

The easy way would be Start>Run>msconfig>Startup and simply uncheck the programs you don't to start when windows starts.

Edited by acklan, 21 December 2005 - 08:59 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:10 AM

Press and hold down the "Shift" key when booting will prevent those in your "Startups" folder from loading also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

The easy way would be Start>Run>msconfig>Startup and simply uncheck the programs you don't to start when windows starts.

Another way would be to go into each application individually and go to tools/options and look for a 'launch/run at startup' option, and uncheck it.

BTW, fredg, I think you are referring to stuff that sits in your systray (RHS of taskbar) - the quick launch bar sits next to the start button (if you have it enabled).
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#5 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

I had the same exact problem of too many programs loading at startup, slowing my system down. But, if you run Spybot ver. 1.4 (which you should be using on a regular basis anyway), go to Tools, then you will see a System Startup button. Click on that and every program will be listed that loads on startup. What I like even better, unlike msconfig, if you click on each program in System Startup menu, Spybot will give you a description of what program the command line is for, and whether or not you really need the program to run at startup. All you have to do is uncheck the box next to the command line, and the program will no longer load at startup. I personally used this to stop 12 programs from booting, and now my system flies. Spybot is in my opinion the best tool in helping you decide which programs to nix....Spybot is invaluable. Get it. Now.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

Another option is to use a good startup manager program like Starter.

Download Starter from: http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/products_starter.html
Double-click starter.exe to run or extract the zipped version to its own folder.

Unlike other startup managers this one can also be used for investigative purposes and it always shows the disabled entries.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

Or, for those that don't actually know wjhat the programs listed in MSconfig mean, you can use Windows Startup Inspector

Run it and click on Consult. It will check its online database and tell you what you can safely remove from startup. You can then do this from within the program.

Oooh, so many choices?!?

PS Your link doesn't work Quietman.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:18 PM

Starter is still available for download here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...k/Starter.shtml
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:47 PM

I was a devoted user of Mike Lin's StartupCPL (available for free from here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

But recently I've found that SysInternal's Autoruns is much more to my liking (available for free from here: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

Also, type "sysedit" in the run dialog and that will open up all the startup scripts for editing. You can delete files listed for startup on boot in the config.sys and system.ini files
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users