Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding a 2nd monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

I have a Dell OptiPlex GX620 desktop. It has both a VGA and a DVI-D adapter installed. Currently there is a VGA monitor connected to the VGA port. I want to add a 2nd monitor for the purpose of extending my desktop, but I only have another VGA monitor available.

I've purchased a DVI-D to HD15 VGA adapter and plugged the VGA monitor into the DVI port, but nothing comes up on the display. When I try to enable extending the desktop and I click Apply, the check mark disappears.

Is there a way to accomplish the extended desktop, with the monitors that I have? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BLUEFIRE0424

BLUEFIRE0424

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

I am actually thinking that the video card does not support dual monitor.

In this case you would have to upgrade the video card to one that supports dual monitors.

Try searching the Dell forums and Im sure you will come across people with similar problems.

Here is a chart that should lead you in a better direction :)
Dell desktop graphics

Find out what graphics card your G620 has and see if it supports dual monitor's

Edited by BLUEFIRE0424, 10 March 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#3 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

The Dell OptiPlex GX620's that we have, contain 2 video cards. One is on board and the other is a riser card! The PC's definitely support dual monitors, when a VGA monitor and a DVI monitor are used. We don't have enough DVI monitors, so that's why the dilemma!!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

One is on board and the other is a riser card

You can't use both. Either on-board video, or PCI card.
Does PCI card have TWO ports, DVI and VGA?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

I appreciate all responses, but the VGA & DVI can both be used together, when you have both a VGA and aDVI monitor. The 2nd monitor can be used to extend the Window's desktop and works quite well. We've got over 50 users who have this configuration. As stated, our problem is that we've run out of DVI monitors and need to connect 2 VGA's but still need to extend the desktop onto the 2nd.

The PCI card has one DVI connector only!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users