Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Processors

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

I want know which processor is better that I can buy. Is that an Amd processor with max. work temperature of 65 degrees Celsius or is it better that I buy an Amd processor with max. work temperature of 74 degrees Celsius?
I found a Motherboard were I say to myself, yes I like that, but it is an Amd Mobo, not worse, because an Amd Mobo is just like a Pentium Mobo, good.
Also is an Amd Mobo cheaper than a Pentium.
So that is the reason that my eyes felt on the Amd Mobo.
The Amd processor has a price of 33,95 euro and the other with a work temperature of 74 degrees Celsius a price of 55,95 euro .
The thermal power of the first processor is 45 watt.
The thermal power of the second processor; that is the processor with the price of 55,95 euro: Is 65 watt.
Thermal power, what is that exact.?
Is that the core of the processor or.......?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

Thermal design power is a rating of how much energy the processor uses at full load as well as how much heat it puts off. Higher numbers mean more electricity used and more heat produced. Processors are rated by Ghz...faster is better....

What Do I Need To Build A Computer?

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2011 - 01:34 PM.
Fixed link.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

Thank you for the information, baltboy.

You made a link to a site of: What Do I need to Build a Computer, that link doesn't work.
That is pity, because for people they don't know how must they build a computer, is it a handy subject, when they can read the information.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 05 March 2011 - 06:03 AM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

Hi RadioNorthsea

I believe this is the link Baltboy intended. What Do I Need to Build a Computer

I`m sure as soon as he is aware of the link problem he will take card of it.

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

Thank you Thunderz for the right link.
I have seen a part of that message and I can tell, in that message is something what is very important for the most people, they want build a computer.
In that message is there a note where in the Author said, watch out with cheaper electronics parts.
What I can say is: Cheap electronics stuff is not always bad, but will you the secure that you have a computer where you can say to yourself, that is it, than is it from my opinion wise that you pay some more money.
I think at the cheaper Amd processor with the price of 33,95 euro with Thermal power of 45 watt and max. work temperature of 65 degrees Celsius: A processor from the computer will in a hot summer: I think than at temperature of 25 to 35 degrees celsius in my country; reach soon a temperature of 65 degrees celsius or more and when you use a cheap processor and you use your computer in a hot summer, than is there a hardware problem.

So what the Author told, he has little right that people must safety with buying cheap electronics parts.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

There are exceptions to the rule when it comes to cheap\inexpensive parts.

One of those exceptions would be AMD processors.

Yes. They are less expensive then their counterparts from Intel. But, for the most part they have proven their good quality time and time again.

Regarding temperatures. Really it is all relative to the processor, ambient\room temp. Any processor will run warmer in a warmer environment. Normally a processor which runs warmer by nature will tolerate higher operating temperatures just by design.

Steps can be taken to help reduce the risk of thermal damage\failure.

The type of case you use to build. Full size as well as some well designed mid-size towers with lots of vents and pre-installed fans. As well as an option to install more if desired.
Using a quality thermal paste to replace the OEM provided compound.
Purchasing an aftermarket heatsink and fan to replace the original.
or
Purchasing a fan adapter that allows a larger fan which moves more air then the original to be put in place.

If you have the $$$ to spend then liquid cooling is an option but is probably over-kill even in hotter climates unless you really stress the machine.

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Yes. They are less expensive then their counterparts from Intel. But, for the most part they have proven their good quality time and time again.

Indeed, qua quality is the Amd processor just good as a Pentium, so it is not bad that my choice felt on an Amd motherboard with his processor.

Any processor will run warmer in a warmer environment. Normally a processor which runs warmer by nature will tolerate higher operating temperatures just by design.

It is the case that you will be take care that in the house is not so warm, when you open the windows and door, than is it in house not so warm when you have closed the door and windows.
Also is it not bad that you cares for a ventilator near the computer, better is that you build in a bigger fan in the computer, what are the cost of the fan is, is not important.
Sometimes are the cheaper stuff better than the stuff which is expansive.
The processor which I buy in the Computer shop has Thermal paste on the cpu, the shop do that for you.
When I must bring up the Thermal paste on the processor, than is that not a problem, because I do know that you must bring up enough Thermal paste, it is not too much and not too little.
When there is too much on the processor, than will be the processor too hot and you get the same when you bring up too little.
But it is what I said, when I have bought the stuff than is the Thermal paste all on the processor, so that is in principle easy.

I have a Donor Computer, I take parts out the Donor Computer.
The Donor Computer is the Computer where I working now.
The cd\dvd-drives come in the new Computer also the Hard disk and I can take the CPU-cooler out the Donor Computer, I will see what the best is what I can to do.
When I bought the stuff and built the Computer, than I will also a second Hard disk in my Computer, I think at 10 TB.
But that comes later.
Okay ThunderZ, thank you for your useful information.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

Just a quick personal note. I actually prefer AMD to Pentium.
The differences are very small and when comparing prices I just can not justify the higher cost for such small performance gains. The performance gains, often, are not those that can be seen with the naked eye. But only measured by running what are called benchmarking tests.

Let us know how the new build comes along. Someone will always be around to help with suggestions and answer questions.

#9 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:39 AM

AMD to Pentium

AMD Vs. Intel :)

Pentium is just a type of Intel processor.

The differences are very small and when comparing prices I just can not justify the higher cost for such small performance gains. The performance gains, often, are not those that can be seen with the naked eye. But only measured by running what are called benchmarking tests.

Agreed!
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#10 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:11 AM

Let us know how the new build comes along. Someone will always be around to help with suggestions and answer questions.

I let it know, I promise that.
But at this moment was I oriented myself for what is the best what I can buy.
I must now ask questions at the Dutch Computer shop about the pc. Midi Case.
When I got the information what I want have to, than I buy it and go to work.
I must saying, that I must now make hurry with building, because I get now more troubles with the old Computer.
When I wait longer, than have I soon a big problem and I can tell you, I don't like troubles.

Maybe is it only the GPU, but for the secure took I the decision for build a new Computer, also want I a Computer with more properties, just like 6 PCI-slides and PCI-E or 2 PCI-E and 4 PCI; double crossfire is that and the possibility for build-in a second Hard disk.
I found all components were I say, yes that is it, but it is what I did tell, when the information from the Dutch Computer shop is peaceful, than I go build the Computer.
Thank you guys for the useful information and I am glad that I could take a look via the link from you, Thunderz.
See you

#11 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

Question about the Thermal paste: When you buy the Thermal paste and you have
used that, how long can you keep the paste before it will be old and dry out.?
And it is also a good question about this, how must you keep that.? I suppose that you don't keep this in the freezer and also not in the cooler. :whistle:

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:24 AM

If you get the kind, as most come, in a small syringe style container, and keep the cap firmly on it, I know of no expiration date.

I just keep mine in one of my Geek kits. A toolbox dedicated to tools for working on peoples PC`s.

#13 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:23 AM

in a small syringe style container

Sorry, I don't understand this.
Do you mean a box were you keeping in the Chemic stuff, just like batteries or.....

A toolbox dedicated to tools for working on peoples PC`s.

I don't know or this exist in my country.
But after your information, I looking for that too.
Indeed it is very important and maybe must I saying, eminent, that people have all Computer stuff together in a tool box.
About experience date, I don't know or there is.
I think that I buy that together with my Computer components and when I have received the stuff, that I take a look on the bottle or tube, what the experience date is.
Example: When on the bottle or tube there is a date for keeping, April 2011, than I bring that back to the shop.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

Sorry, I don't understand this.

Posted Image

A toolbox dedicated to tools for working on peoples PC`s.

I don't know or this exist in my country.
But after your information, I looking for that too.

Some places do sell computer repair kits.

My tool box is made up of tools I have found handy to have around when working on PC`s. Most were purchased one at a time as needed. I also keep a large capacity Flash drive with often used programs and useful links in a portable Browser.
As well as text documents with basic instructions to perform some tasks and some manuals in pdf format.

#15 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:24 AM

Thank you for your information, ThunderZ
Now I have understood.
About the Toolbox, yeah I have a little Toolbox and I belief that I use this for the Pc. stuff.
It is very important that people have all Pc. stuff; I speak not only over the tools I speak also over the other stuff, just like the Thermal paste.
The picture of the tube what you did let seen, you have also that stuff in a little bottle.
Now do I not know or which one I must buy: Shall I buy Thermal paste also known under the name Cpu Cooler paste in a bottle or shall I buy in a tube.
Maybe is it better that I buy this in a bottle, because, at the cap there is a brush, with that than is it from my opinion not possible, that I make a mistake with grease too much on the processor.
http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Koeling-Processor-Koeler/Zalman-ZMSTG1,Thermal-Grease/120213

My opinion with that is: When I have received the processor, there is Thermal paste on it, but once in the year must you removed the Cpu cooler for cleaning and when you removed that, than is the Thermal paste gone.
When I have extra paste in my property, than can I bring up new lay Thermal paste.
When I think at my words, than think I that my thought is not bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users