Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen goes black regularly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Solara_IB

Solara_IB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

On a regular basis, at least every 15-20 minutes, my screen goes black.

The computer is hooked up to a Samsung flat screen TV.

I tested this problem with a monitor and different cable, and it still went dark.

The screen saver is enabled for 3d Text every 120 minutes.

Yet this problem still occurs with the screen saver set to none.

I ran superspyware there are no infections.

The computer hardly browses the internet.

The source of problem is deemed to be with the computer and not the screens, power, or cables.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Does moving the mouse bring it back?
Im wondering if your system might be going into hybernation.
Have you checked those settings yet?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

Eyesee's question is relevant - what happens when you press a key on the keyboard or move the mouse - does that bring the screen back to life?

#5 Hadenuf

Hadenuf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:08 PM

Having a similar problem. Monitor goes black at random intervals, any where from 1 second to 20 minutes. When monitor goes black, monitor power button stays green. ( I interpret this to mean the monitor is recieving a signal) Shuting down the monitor for 30 seconds and then turning it back restores the screen, but only for a limited time. Monitor is six years old and is left on almost continuosly. (19" LCD - Dell)

When the monitor goes into herbernation/sleep mode the screen still emits light(glows black), but what I'm trying to describe is black, like no power black.

I've read elsewhere that the monitor may be overheating, it may have a moisture/humidity problem, video driver may be corrupted, or, like me, just plain old. My question is, is there any malware out there that might be the cause?

I will attempt to use the monitor on another computer to see if the problem re-occurs.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hello Hadenuf and welcome to the forum!

"I will attempt to use the monitor on another computer to see if the problem re-occurs. "

Good idea. See if the problem follows the monitor.
If possible you might try another monitor on this system as well to eliminate the computer as the issue.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Hadenuf

Hadenuf

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

OK, after posting, the monitor blacking became intermittent. Finally caught the monitor blacking out and connected to another computer and the problem persisted. Ergo, bad monitor, bad bad monitor, down.

I have sprung for a new monitor, a cheap one, as I plan to replace my six year old computer in the next year or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users