Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nt 4.0 Sp6a Lost Connection To Internet.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 02:28 AM

I have lost connection to my LAN and the internet on my server running Win NT4 Sever Back Office. It shows the NIC as working but I cannot get out. I am running not firewall or AV.I have Spybot and Adaware.
I am trying to set this up to host a web server for the kids web pages.

HP LC3 NetServer
Dual P-III 500mhz
1 gb RAM ECC
3-18gb SCSI

Was working until I tried to get the IIS 3.0 configured. This is new territory for me. I am also trying to port foward HTTP via port 8080.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 December 2005 - 06:55 PM

Acklan: Nobody else decided to take a crack at this, so I think I will start with the obvious first. I am sure you already tried some of this, but it is worth asking anyways... Are you using static or dynamic addressing? Can you ping the other computers on your network? Can you ping 127.0.0.1? Do you have any entries in the event log that points to your problem? If the last thing that you did was load IIS, why don't you remove it to see if that helps.
JC

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Joshuacat. By the way the Mrs. says you have a beautiful baby.
My router uses 192.168.1.1 . I use static.
The main card is 192.168.1.111
I have a four port ethernet card, DEC PCI DEChip 21140.
IPs are:

It takes a while to boot so I'll get back to you on the IIS solution, also the LOG.

Edited by acklan, 22 December 2005 - 07:59 PM.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:19 AM

Thanks acklan.

I used to look after a few networks with NT 4, but that was quite a few years back.
I always found NT to be a pain to configure devices. It's a lot lot easier today with XP. I even looked after a couple of HP Netservers, but we had Netware on them. Install Netware ..walk away.. and you never see the server again except for back-ups. - I may be stretching the truth a bit here.

....anyways going a little off topic...Let us know what you end up doing.
JC

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:21 PM

OK I have one error message in the event log.

The DHCP Relay Agent service failed to start due to the following error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

Edited by acklan, 23 December 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:49 PM

When did you start getting that message? Are using the DHCP Relay Agent?

You could also use IIS 4.0 with NT 4.0.

IIS 4.0 Recommended Installation Procedure
JC

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:50 PM

I did not modify the NT box. I changed all the other computers to Static IP. When I changed the router over is when I noticed the problem.
FYI: I changed to static because I was tired of chasing LAN IPs when the power went out. I use VNC to monitor the other computers (Kids).

As I write this I think I will change the router back and see what happens. As long as the computer are static it does not matter what the router is set at, right?

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

Okay Acklan. Let us know how you make out with this.

I am not exactly sure what you are asking.

here =>

As long as the computer are static it does not matter what the router is set at, right?

JC

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:17 AM

I have my computers with static IPs. Do I need to set the router as static also? I now it does not effect the PCs, but will setting the router to Static IP for the LAN affect the server (windows NT4)? Should I leave the router DHCP for the LAN?
My internet I is dynamic.
I will up grade to IIS 4.0 as soon as I get back on line. Thanks for the link.

Merry Christmas John

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

The router would be static, and the computers can be dynamic or static.
Just don't configure the computers with an IP that would be assigned by DHCP.
Can you not use computer names with VNC? It's been a few years since I have used VNC.
I always use computer names with PCanywhere and ZenRC at work. But, the computer names are registered.

You could also be able to configure DHCP on the server...since you already have a router...why would you... Just make sure you're not using the router and the server to assign dynamic IPs....

Have a great holiday!
JC

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

Gotcha. Everything but the server is static.

No. VNC only allows IPs. The paid verison may allow names.

I can't figure out how to disable DHCP on Win NT4.

Router 192.168.1.1
Server 192.168.1.111

#12 jlo666

jlo666

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:01 PM

First of all... always start off on the physical layer... is there a link light? Is the RJ-45 tip loose? ect...

Then start off in software... you say that you got an error code stating "The DHCP Relay Agent service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."? Correct?

Is there a specific reason that you are using that service? More than likely the reason for that error code is that somehow the .ini (or whatever extension the service driver/process is using) file is corrupted or was moved/deleted- this could happen from it not completely unloading itself before windows shuts down... or various other things...ANYWAYS... before I get too far off on a tangent.

The way to change/disable DHCP on NT server would be -right click on your network neighborhood icon...chose properties- then ip address, should have the option to enable/disable DHCP. You might also solve the problem by uninstalling/reinstalling the DHCP Relay Agent Service.

#13 jlo666

jlo666

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

Oh, before I forget go to C:\Winnt\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ Administrative Tools

in that folder you will find some admin tools for NT... but the one I am sure you will be interested in is called

dhcpadmin.exe

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:23 PM

First of all... always start off on the physical layer... is there a link light? Is the RJ-45 tip loose? ect...

The link light is present and is actively working. The NIC (All 5 NIC) report working properly.

Then start off in software... you say that you got an error code stating "The DHCP Relay Agent service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified."? Correct?

Correct.

Is there a specific reason that you are using that service? More than likely the reason for that error code is that somehow the .ini (or whatever extension the service driver/process is using) file is corrupted or was moved/deleted- this could happen from it not completely unloading itself before windows shuts down... or various other things...ANYWAYS... before I get too far off on a tangent.

Nope. I just can't turn it off. I changed it from automatic start to maunal start but the change won't stick.

The way to change/disable DHCP on NT server would be -right click on your network neighborhood icon...chose properties- then ip address, should have the option to enable/disable DHCP. You might also solve the problem by uninstalling/reinstalling the DHCP Relay Agent Service.

The NIC is setup for static not DHCP. It is setup like the other computer with a unquie IP. I have 13 computers on my LAN.
I did not think about uninstalling the DHCP Relay Agent Service. I am at work till tuesday 07:00 hours, and will not be able to try this until later that morning.
Your advise is invaluble. I will let you know the outcome.

Merry Christmas.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

Oh, before I forget go to C:\Winnt\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ Administrative Tools

in that folder you will find some admin tools for NT... but the one I am sure you will be interested in is called

dhcpadmin.exe

You are right. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users