Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Mysterious Freeze, and Occasional BSOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BLM73

BLM73

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hi again Bleeping Computer Community,

My comp's been running great until JUST recently, come to think of it I may reseat some SATA cables tomorrow morning, but for now insomnia is raging, and I have something I can't explain happening. The following is the message I get when clicking 'OK' to close out of System Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings (I'm in here to try and figure out how I can get a .dmp file to review after my next random BSOD) after setting small memory dump, and small dump directory.

Windows might not be able to record details that could help identify system errors because your current paging file is disabled or less than megabytes. Click OK to return to the Virtual Memory settings window, enable the paging file, and set the size to a value over 1 megabytes, or click Cancel to change your memory dump selection.

I don't understand it, I have a Paging File of 2048MB set up on a 2nd HDD and all other possible Drives/Volumes set to None in this regards. I believe that my BSOD and freezing problem is related to this, but for IE9 acting a little stangely lately. Sometimes when I click a link on a web page it acts as though I clicked the 'Back' button on the browser. Also, after the Crash and/or Freeze, New Tab > Your Most Popular Sites in IE9 has lost it's memory and is effectively reset (although 'Reopen Last Session' works). Not the end of the world I know, but maybe a symptom that someone's heard of.

So, does reseating the SATA Cables for the 10th time sound right? I've run Memtest86+ as well as Windows 7 Memory Diagnostic, and no problems were reported. I can give any information about the system one might want :

Win7 64-bit
AMD Athlon X3 435 Rana (I have not messed around with unlocking it)
4GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 (Laughable ikr?)
PSU is Corsair 400W ATX

Any Advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:23 AM

Please download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users