Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinion on Comodo internet security

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

Hello All
My teenage son has a laptop with XP SP2. Earlier today had a problem with fake anti-V software popups.Luckily he remembered what I told him and clicked nothing.Was able to kill things with MBAM in safe mode with networking which killed four rouges then reran MBAM (full scan)in normal mode plus SAS (full scan). MBAM found nothing, SAS found three tracking cookies.So far we seem clean.
Put Comodo Internet Security pro on my Toughbook last year. I have had no problems so far but I am a pretty conservative internet user. Especially since I had a run in with malware a couple of years ago. I did see that Comodo questioned something I ran across. It sent it off for analysis and then reported it was ok.I thought this was pretty impressive although I am the first to admit I am not the most sophisticated user.
I frequently take a look at the "Am I infected" forum just to see what is new. I know that no anti- virus protection works against all attacks but I do not recall ever seeing someone post a problem and show Comodo as their anti-malware protection.
I am considering downloading the free Comodo Internet Security version and also the Comodo Firewall for his computer.
Any input pro or con would be greatly appreciated.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jlventre

Jlventre

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm no expert at all but I have found the Comodo software more of a hinderance than a help, it constantly asks you to allow pointless things, for example, 'Firefox is trying to connect to the Internet' but has never actually protected me from malware.
As I said beofre though, I'm definetly no expert on Firewalls or anything but thats my opinion :P

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

That's normal behaviour for their firewall. He's not talking about their firewall anyway. Comodo now has a complete security suite.

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hi JlVenture
Not sure what to say about your comment on the Comodo firewall. I had purchased a used Toughbook last summer. Was going to Las Vegas and wanted some protection when I accessed the Internet at places like McDonalds.
I decided to try the free trial of Comodo Internet Security pro. It comes with the firewall. I let the remote tech install it. I could see he changed and removed lots of things. Not sure if itís how he installed it or what but I never have a problem with the firewall being overprotective. I can open Firefox just like always.
In your experience has the firewall allowed malware to get by it?
Like I said in my post I just have not seen anyone in the ďAm I infectedĒ forum
asking for help and listing Comodo as their anti- virus software or firewall. There may be some but I have not noticed them.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

I have used Comodo Internet Security since it was first released and I like it. I do however keep the "Defense+" module disabled as I find it a bit annoying.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 coles1mom

coles1mom

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi Nawtheasta

Your first line of defense should be keeping all updates current. XP has a SP3 that should be installed. Java & Adobe need to be current as well. As for Comodo, give it a try and see how it works for you. Teens do click alot, don't they.

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi All
I checked my Toughbook. It came with SP 3 and it does have the Defense + turned on. Havenít had any issues but I am pretty conservative in what I use it for.
Ref. SP2. Iíve set down a number of times to update my desktop. Every time would start reading the various warnings and instructions to do before updating to SP3. I know I should do this but I rely on the desk top for my business and the last thing I want to have happen is to go from a functional XP SP2 to a locked up half updated SP3. This Dell desktop will be 5 years old in April so itís time to move on. Maybe after I replace it we will try updating before I give it to my wife. Until then I will only visit a handful of sites that have , at least to this point, been safe.
In regards to my sons laptop and SP3. I think I will have someone else do it when it needs service. I tend to get too paranoid with these things sometimes. Good point on Java and Adobe. I need to check and see if his laptop has been update.
Has anyone installed the free version of Comodo internet security and had issues or problems?
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

I've been using Comodo firewall for some years now and Comodo Internet Security on my laptop for about a year, or so.
Never had any problems with it.
Being a security freak, I really don't mind those questions once in a while.
Better over-safe, than sorry.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users