Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engines not showing up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Domar

Domar

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hello, I know I have another thread open on these forums, but that laptop is going so slow, it's hard to attempt anything on it.

On this newer laptop, I have a problem where any search engines I attempt to connect to, Google, Bing, Yahoo, Msn, it doesn't matter, all of them time out. On Google and Bing, I can't even get on their homepages, also can't get on Google Mail. On Yahoo and Msn, I can get on their homepages and email, but searches on their engines don't work. Looking online, I mostly see people talking about being redirected, on the few times I could find people with the same problem as mine. people told them to check the hosts file in windows, as it can hold lines that cause it to redirect.

Mine only has this line
192.168.0.1 ****.mshome.net # 2016 1 1 4 3 59 36 500

I've censored the name before mshome, as it is my niece's name.

Please help, I use google heavily, and being unable to use it is highly inconvenient.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:09 AM

You have an open topic in the Am I Infected forum. You should respond to Boopme's request. You should not seek any help outside of the AII forum as this will only complicate what can be a difficult job to begin with,and making any changes other than what is suggested by Boopme will skew the results of any scans you run.

I am going to suggest that a Moderator close this topic.

dc3

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:43 AM

Whoa, whoa, don't jump the gun here, I already responded to that thread, and this is a seperate laptop, additionally, I didn't seek out help, I just looked online to see if it was an easy to solve problem before I came on here to bother you guys.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:06 AM

Apparently I did "jump the gun". I read the first sentence in your post, looked at your topics, saw that you have an open topic in the AII and made an assumption.

So... On with the show.

See if this article helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Alright, so the link you sent basically goes over the hosts.ics file. I looked around online before I came on here and people said that viruses may edit the file to reroute www.google.com to some scam site or whatever, but as I said in my original post, there's only the original file, unedited. So is there anything you guys can think of as the reason why I time out on all search sites?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Take a look at your browser add-ons...remove/disable all.

If you don't have IE 8 installed, upgrade to it.

If you don't have SP3 installed, install it.

Louis

#7 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:00 AM

SP3 is Installed, and I guess I should have said this before, all three of the browsers installed on this computer(IE, Firefox, and Chrome) are effected by whatever this is.

#8 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:45 AM

Hmm, i've noticed something else, Comodo, my antivirus, can't connect to the servers to get the new virus database, it can on my desktop, but not on this laptop having the search engine problem, so I doubt it's a problem with the server. I feel I should inform you that there are no parental control programs installed on here.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

It would appear that you have two systems with malware problems, I am moving this thread to Am I Infected. Please let them know that your two threads each pertain to a different system...the former with a desktop, this one with a laptop.

Louis

#10 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

Um...Not exactly, i'll give you a layout of what computers I have in the house, 1. My Desktop, it works fine, no viruses, has Comodo installed, 2. Old laptop, it already has another thread to figure out if it has an infection. 3. New laptop, this is the thread for this one, with the search and virus database problems. If you say I likely have an infection on this laptop, i'll believe you, I just dunno how to get rid of this problem

#11 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:45 AM

Apologies for not coming on here in a while, I had to give the laptop back before the issue could be fixed, so I can't work on it anymore, this thread can be locked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users