Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu-Ray software issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hello all,

I've had the machine for a little while and just finally got around to getting a blu-ray disc (BD) to watch. When I put it in the BD drive, Mediasmart opened automatically (as it should) and play back began. The problem is that while the sound works fine, the video is simply an massive solid green block. The entire screen is green with the audio for the film playing in the background. When it gets to the main selection screen the options appear just fine (Play movie, scene selection, bonus features, etc...) and where they're supposed to be on the BD but everywhere there is suppose to be video or graphics, there's just a giant square of green.

I've tried updating, but it continually says there's no updates. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a current version of Mediasmart with the same problem. I've updated windows and HP products to their latest versions. I've tried other programs (Media Player Classic, VLC, and DivX Plus) with no luck. One program told me I had to update my DirectX capabilities, but when I checked Windows update, I'm running the latest version of all relevant software and drivers. I have even checked to make sure the drive was in fact a BD player and it is (dual lenses along with the Blu-Ray logo). Also, to make matters more infuriating, I've tried the BD in other blu-ray players and it works fine and regular DVDs work fine on my machine.

This is very frustrating, obviously, and any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm running an HP dv7-1260us Vista Home Premium 64bit SP2; an AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74; and 4Gb of RAM.

Thanks again,
Drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 03 March 2011 - 07:41 PM.

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:42 AM

I have seen no mention of your video card make and model number or the status of your video drivers in your post above, can you please post that information?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

Sure thing MrBruce:

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 3200. I used Device Manager to search for driver updates and no new updates were found. However, when I checked the home page, it has the 'Catalyst Software Suite' for download. I was not aware I was running anything involved in Catalyst. I don't really know what that is to be honest. Not sure if this download is necessary so I'll leave it alone for now. Are there other video drivers I should be checking on? Is there another way to check for updated drivers outside the Device Manager? Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated

drunkle

Edited by drunkle, 06 March 2011 - 08:02 PM.

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users