Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extracting HTML Coding from a Site with URL

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tybudd

Tybudd

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

About 15years ago back when WebTV was popular ( I know it was never "popular") the webtv had tools to be able to put the URL of a site in a data box, and it would convert it and show you exactly how the site was put together from the from the first <html><body> to the </body></html>

Is there still web tools that can do this for you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

In Firefox and Chrome, right click anywhere on the page, and select "View Page Source"
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

In Firefox and Chrome, right click anywhere on the page, and select "View Page Source"

:( at work so not allowed to use anything but IE

Plus I have to be able to use the link, because I can't access the sites from work due to the firewall, thats why I need to see the source to put it on an HTML site editor to see the content.

Edited by Tybudd, 03 March 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Plus I have to be able to use the link, because I can't access the sites from work due to the firewall, thats why I need to see the source to put it on an HTML site editor to see the content.

You are not seeing the real "source" of the pages when you do a "view source", just the code that's displaying in your browser. Therefor, when they have a firewall preventing access to the site, doing "view source" will either give the source of the error page denying access, or just won't work.

#5 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

You are not seeing the real "source" of the pages when you do a "view source", just the code that's displaying in your browser. Therefor, when they have a firewall preventing access to the site, doing "view source" will either give the source of the error page denying access, or just won't work.

Edited by groovicus, 03 March 2011 - 09:45 PM.
removing link because Spiedy senses tells me it is spam.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

Not sure what the issue is.. you can do a view source in IE also.

#7 Tybudd

Tybudd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

Not sure what the issue is.. you can do a view source in IE also.

U have to be inside of the page in order to see the code in that form, I'm talking about URL's that I can't access because our Firewall is blocking it, I have the actual URL's just can't get into the site, simple sites like www.mmo-champion.com since it is a gaming site, from work I can't get into it, but if I can get the source code, I can just put it on a HTML building site, and view the contents of it.

P.S. other link wasn't malicious, ran a check on it.

Edited by Tybudd, 05 March 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:18 AM

There are reasons your IT Dept has sites blocked. It is called productivity. Or lack of.

This appears you are attempting to circumvent security measures put in place on a computer with in a network that is not yours.

Correct ?

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Ah. I misunderstood. How are you going to get the source code if the site is blocked? We do not help circumvent security measures since many of us here make a living preventing people from doing just what you propose.

EDIT: sicne this is not a web development question, I am moving this to the general discussion section.

Edited by groovicus, 05 March 2011 - 09:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users