Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

I use 2 computers a 2 different physical locations for the same purpose/function. I have a home (desktop) computer for working at home, and a road (laptop) for when I am on the road. I connect/communicate online from/with both computers. My mail folders are identical on each machine.

Now the problem: I would like to merge those mail messages to be resident on both computers. It is a tedious job to try to remember/or find messages sent/received on one computer when it was actually performed on the other computer. Eventually I find the messages, but not without having to sent them both up at the same time and search both for what I want (and hope that I am connected online at the time.

Transferring the files/messages is not a problem. Importing/exporting is not an option since that process 'replaces' what has been imported into the space to which the import is directed. In other words, the old messages are replaced with those that have been imported.

Any help/suggestions? The software for sale represents 'wholesale' backup/restore/etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:35 PM

Go to Tools>Accounts(double left click)>YOUatMAIL.COM>Properties>Advanced>Drlievery. Set the mail to be left on the server so that both computers can download the email. Is this what you had in mind?

Edited by acklan, 20 December 2005 - 11:37 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:16 AM

I am sorry I didn't make myself more clear.

I do not have trouble downloading messages to both computers.

The issue is, once the messages are downloaded (some on the home computer and some on the road computer), I would like to have them merged into one, the other or even both computers. The idea is to have all the messages in all the mail boxes on one computer so that I don't have to constantly go back and forth between computers to find the message or conversation thread. What frequently happens is that some of a conversation thread is on one computer and some is on the other computer.

I would like to merge the mail messages from each computer for each of the mail folders I have on both computers. Is there a way to do that?

polaris6

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:49 AM

The solution I purposed would do precisely that. You would have the messages stored on the server and they would download to both computers. If you checked you mail on both computer every 2 to 3 days set OutLook to delete the messages on the server after 5 days or what every you feel is a reasonable lenght of time. This way it is automatic, and you don't have to transfer files between computers.
But if you insist on transferring files, export your emails from say your notebook to your desktop when you log into your home LAN. It would be like exporting to a disk, but it would be merged into the folder on OutLook. All you would have to do is use the "Map a drive" feature in My Network Places. The other computer would then be just a hard drive thru the network. All you have to do is point to it when you save your information.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users