Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New Hijackthis version

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Hello,

I do not know or I am in the right box, but there is a new version of Hijackthis.
I give here the link for download.

http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Dear Moderators\Admins, when I am in the wrong box, than my apologizes for this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

FWIW: HJT is not even used as a tool by the Malware Team here at BC, although all HJT logs still are channeled into the Malware Removal Logs forum.

Rather than use the HJT log, members with malware problems are asked to follow the procedures detailed at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Note that DDS logs...not HJT logs...are the initial diagnostic tool requested.

I would also add a note...HJT is developed by Trend Micro as a tool for some to use when trying to combat malware problems. It is NOT a diagnostic tool for system or software or hardware problems which may exist with a system.

Considering the fact that it is not the tool of choice here at BC...it really has limited utility here, other than to get a person with a malware problem...in the front door of the Malware Removal Logs forum. Once in that door, the person is asked to follow the procedures listed in the Preparation Guide which I linked to above.

Soooo...I don't see how much of a tip this will be here at BC. In fact, I'll move it to AV, Firewall, Privacy, Protection.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

I realize you had good intentions with your post but......
From that link. Version 2.0.5 (Beta) <<<-- Beta products are released for testing purposes only and may contain serious flaws and bugs.

Making this an even riskier endeavor. Only designated trained experts are allowed to help people with using HijackThis,DDS and ComboFix. If one does not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of this tool, they should NOT fix anything using HijackThis etc.. without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

Edited by boopme, 03 March 2011 - 10:08 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

Expanding on what has already been said.

HijackThis only scans certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Given the sophistication of malware hiding techniques used by attackers in today's environment, HijackThis is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places. This limitation has made its usefulness nearly obsolete since a HijackThis log cannot reveal all the malware residing on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, OTL and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

As with HijackThis, these are powerful tools and rely on trained experts to interpret the log entries, determine what needs to be fixed and plan a strategy for disinfection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

I realize you had good intentions with your post but......
From that link. Version 2.0.5 (Beta) <<<-- Beta products are released for testing purposes only and may contain serious flaws and bugs.

Making this an even riskier endeavor. Only designated trained experts are allowed to help people with using HijackThis,DDS and ComboFix. If one does not have advanced knowledge about computers or training in the use of this tool, they should NOT fix anything using HijackThis etc.. without consulting a expert as to what to fix.

Okay what I can say after the message from Hamluis and you: Delete the topic than if it is useless.
It is pity for members when they reading something what is useless for them.
Of course was it a good intention from me, but sometimes does a human something without added value.
There is one thing were I am not agree and that is the next:

Only designated trained experts are allowed to help people with using HijackThis

You have right that only trained Hijackthis people can help others with the Hijackthis tools, but you have not right that only trained Hijackthis people can help others with Hijackthis.
There are more humans they learn working with Hijackthis, you can learn via an education and you can learn without an education, because you learn through reading the Hijackthis messages and the help what the Hijackthis experts\helpers give.
Okay I can say more about this, but I think that is maybe smart when I don't speak about some things.
I can only tell, that you underrate the people.
You know: There are a percentage people, they learn through reading and looking to the answers and there are people, they find it difficult and have need an education.
But there are also people, they cannot learn, why not.? Yeah why not, people are not the same as the others.
We people are very complex.
I have learn working with Hijackthis, but using Hijackthis tools, that is another story.
When I will be infected and I trace a Trojan or other vulnerable and I must using a Hijackthis tool, than I ask for help.
I do that, when a Hijackthis expert or helper made a fault, than is that his\her problem and gives me help with fix the problem, meanwhile I made a fault, than have I that problem.
So that is the reason when I am infected, that I ask for help.

Quietman7,

Of course have I reading your message, but you're faster than me with typing and entering, that is not a shame, because English is your language and when you speak and write one or other language in your case, English, than is it more than logical that you are faster than me.

But what I will try tell is: With Hijackthis can you find on Internet useful information about the rules what a person does seen in the log.
With the information can people seen or which information in the log is legal and which one is false.
So also is Hijackthis useless for you and your colleagues, at the other hand is it also useful.
We can say that Hijackthis is not only useless.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 04 March 2011 - 08:29 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

Please read the pinned sticky How do I get help? Who is helping me?

Posting instructions for the use of the following by non-staff members is prohibited in this area, as well as in all other areas of the forums. This list contains tools and procedures that are forbidden, the instructions for using similar tools or procedures should not be posted here, or elsewhere on Bleeping Computer forums, without prior Staff approval.

• Manual file removal instruction.
  • ComboFix instructions or discussion.
  • Registry instruction.
  • Automated registry cleaners.
  • HijackThis and /or DDS instructions (logs are for review only).
  • Custom scripts, batch files.
  • Rootkit removal (including usage of advanced ARK tools, TDSSkiller, MBR.exe and Esage Bootkit Remover).
  • Other specialized fix tools the BC Staff deems untrained members should not recommend for use.
Note: This list is not limited and we may add to it as necessary. These restrictions are in place to ensure that only safe and effective methods are given to members seeking help with a malware problem.

As you can see, we only allow those trusted and trained experts to provide assistance with HijackThis and similar tools in order to protect our member's best interests. Doing this ensures members get expert advice only by those staff members we know have successfully completed training at one of the designated Unite Schools.

The BC staff monitors all new members especially those providing advice relating to malware removal. While a new member's advice may be well intended, it opens the door for other new and unknown members to begin posting prohibited or dubious instructions. Many of our members are novice computer users and easily get confused when there is conflicting, incomplete or improper advice provided which might result in damage to their computers. What if something went wrong and a member's computer become inoperable because they followed instructions given by an unknown member. Would the person who provided advice have the ability to correct the problem? If not, then who would be responsible for the damages? If you asked for assistance, wouldn't you want help from a trusted and reliable source?

I hope you understand and can appreciate our policy so it should not be taken personal.

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

@Quietman7

As you can see, we only allow those trusted and trained experts to provide assistance with HijackThis and similar tools in order to protect our member's best interests.

Yes I know that, but I am be afraid that you don't understand what I do mean.
I will try with explain what I do mean and I do hope that I am successful with that:

With my information do I mean, that for some members is it useful when they have and use the program Hijackthis.
I will not say that they must self going at work with the tools and I say also not that when they use the program Hijackthis, that they must thinking, it is not needed that I ask for help.
That was not my meaning, I do mean with my message before this, that you can 1. learn read the messages by the replies what the Hijackthis experts\helpers give and 2. by practice you learn.
3. Education is still the best way what you can have, but when you don't follow an education on that way, than you learn too when you read the messages and the replies from the Hijckthis experts\helpers, so don't be afraid that I did nasty to the Hijackthis experts\helpers, I am here not the type for.

Doing this ensures members get expert advice only by those staff members we know have successfully completed training at one of the designated Unite Schools.

Yes I know that and about the training, in the future than I shall follow the training.
But first I follow an other education soon, an education that is more important than the education on Hijackthis area. When I have followed the education, than I can join for the Hijackthis education, now at this moment, it is not possible for me.

I can tell you, last year was I a student for Hijackthis, I was for a short time a Student, because, the general condition from that site were I got the education, I didn't like that.
That site was also chaotic, when I follow the education than I want that there are good general condition and that I get a good education from the Teachers.
But also was I for a short period a Hijackthis student, I have learned how I must looking for information at the hand of the information in the Hjt-log.
Before I was a student, did I asked my self, how do the experts and or the helpers that a member has a Trojan or other vulnerable.? I had a thought in that, but I had no confidence in that, until I would be a student and I did saw, how they do do that.
Okay, I do know how I must check or I have a Trojan or whatever, at the hand of an Hjt-log, but I have not enough experience with the Hijackthis tools.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

But first I follow an other education soon, an education that is more important than the education on Hijackthis area. When I have followed the education, than I can join for the Hijackthis education

Yes, real life comes first and I wish you the best in your education efforts.

When you are ready for malware removal training, just recontact me and I will provide the information you need.

#9 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

Thank you Quietman7.

I'll do that and I am glad that you do know what I do mean.
It is better for me when I have follow that.
When I have follow that, than is it not needed that I must deep thinking, how must I do that etc.
See you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users