Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SBS 2008 Standard - can i add more DC's?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 turitopa

turitopa

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:08 PM

Hello everyone.

I am in control of a SBS 2008 Standard environment.
I wrong-fully ordered 2 x sbs 2008 Standard from Dell. (I should have purchased 1 x SBS 2008 premium).
So I have 1 x set of Server Hardware (Dell poweredge 2950 Rack server) not being used at the moment.
This second server is in a remote location but connected to same subnet via a fibre-optics line.
There are a small amount of clients in this remote location (same subnet as SBS 2008 standard)

So now I want to add a second Server, as a PDC if its possible at all.
I basically want the second server present so if the SBS standard DC goes down, the second server can take control.
I would like the ability to backup either the SBS standard DC to the member server and vice verse.
Is this possible???

Can I add a member server 2008 into the mix above? can it be setup as a secondary DC? or is this not possible in SBS standard?
Would I need to migrate my current system to SBS 2008 Premium instead?

What affect if any on Back-ups would this do? My exchange 2007 is currently intergrated into SBS standard DC.

Please someone, what do you recommend I do so that I can bring the 2nd Server hardware into use.
I must have backups in both locations, so if either end of the fibre-optics line fails;
1)I have access to a backup on the remaining DC.
or 2)The remianing Server can take over as DC

I appreciate any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

First to be clear there are only DC's in server 2008 there are no PDC's or BDC's. With SBS you can only use one SBS server (regardless of if it is Standard or Premium) in a Forest, it must be the Root, and there can be no Child's. With the Standard version you are limited to using only the one server. If you are using the Premium version you can add ONE additional server to the network which can be a DC or a member server. All of the FMSO roles and the server software(exchange, sharepoint, ect) that came with SBS must remain on the SBS server. The licenses and the software for the secondary server and SQL standard comes with SBS premium.

Keep in mind that clients that would be accessing the secondary server would need the SBS Premium CAL's as well. Users that would only be accessing the SBS server itself could use the SBS Standard CAL's.

In order to do what you want you will have to go to the Premium version of SBS. I would call Microsoft and check into the possibility of getting a license upgrade.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 turitopa

turitopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hi Baltboy,

thanks that is the information that I needed. I purchased from Dell, I'll see if they have any upgrade options.
(Dell is good on sales but i find them fairly hopeless in their support). If Dell give me the run around then I'll contact MS directly. Cheers,
mate.

We'll see what happens. IS the Upgrade from Standard to Premium fairly difficult?

cheers and regards,
turitopa.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft says(I doubt Dell will be much help). I don't know what the process will be as there is no real documentation I can find anywhere. Please come back nd let us know what the process was and how it went. :thumbup2:
Mark Twain

#5 turitopa

turitopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Ok mate, yes I will do.

We'll i have chatted with DELL Sales (they alway respond well when selling something.)
And asked them to provide some options for Upgrade from standard to premium.

hey whats the easiest way to contact MS?? Will I need to raise a ticket??
What is their Email contact. lol.
[ok i used this http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=Australia to contact MS; i'm from the Cook Islands.
I'll post up the response from MS once i have it]

If I cannot do a upgrade from install DVD, looks like I might need to rebuild from scratch...
But we'll see.

I don't really see much documentation online about this neither...

I appreciate your help.

Edited by turitopa, 04 March 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

You might get the help you need from MS from the Microsoft Store. You can call them direct and Toll free. They usually have at least one person there that can answer more technical/license/upgrade questions like this. Plus I'm sure they would love to sell you the product if Dell isn't any help.
Mark Twain

#7 turitopa

turitopa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

This is the reply i got from MS.

Based on your email, you would like to upgrade to SBS premium 2008 and you require further assistance. If my interpretation is incorrect, please let me know.

I regret to inform you that Small Business Server 2008 is no longer available. You may purchase Small Business Server 2011 instead. For more information on SBS 2011, please click on the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/sbs/en/us/licensing.aspx

I hope I was able to address your concern to your satisfaction. Should you have further questions relating to this enquiry or other enquiries, please let me know.

Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

We have only been using SBS 2008 for 1.5 years or so, now they already saying that I can only upgrade to 2011...Is 2011 SBS stable??
I don't want to move to a NEW version, I just want to change setup so that I can have 2 x DC's....

what do you suggest i do now? call the MS store?

Edited by turitopa, 07 March 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#8 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

That's a new one on me. I just looked at the Microsoft store and SBS 2008 Premium is still listed there. I woul give the Microsoft Store a call and see what you can do from there.
Mark Twain

#9 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

I'm just curious, why are you using a ninth generation PowerEdge server? Aren't those noisy for you? You should get something like the R210 or the T110 for both of those support all versions of SBS 2008.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

I would guess since it is a rack server it is in a dedicated IT room where noise really ins't an issue.
Mark Twain

#11 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

I guess you're right. I wonder where my brain was when i asked that?

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

I have been made aware that I have been in error about the SBS server setup. The Microsoft material states that "only one server running Windows Small Business Server is allowed on the network". To me, and apparently thousands of others, this was taken to mean only one server is allowed on the network. However that is not the case as it is only one SBS server that is allowed. You can have multiple servers, either member or DC, attached to your SBS network. The cavet that the FMSO roles and SBS software must remain on the SBS server remains but you can add additional DC's for network redunancy. Additonal servers get added to the domain via the standard DCPROMO process.

Sorry for any confusion or inconvieniance this may have caused.
Here is an article from Microsoft detailing as such: Debunking Myths About Additional Domain Controllers In SBS Domains
Mark Twain

#13 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

I've heard of single-server networks though if the network is small enough, but how does the DC like that if it can't find anyone to replicate to? Is it absolutely required that the DC and AD environment replicate?

#14 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

It is not required but definitely suggested to have a second DC even in smaller environments for redunancy.
Mark Twain

#15 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

Oh. well that makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users